Research Engineer, Science
To succeed in this role you will need to have a strong foundation in applied machine learning and enjoy working on a wide range of diverse and challenging problems within a mission driven team. You'll join a group of research scientists and software engineers exploring the possibilities of AI-assisted scientific discovery. Targeting complex domains, where vast amounts of data is available and accurate simulations are possible, we apply AI to accelerate research within the natural sciences.
As an embedded Research Engineer you will collaborate with researchers and software engineers to develop and run experiments exploring new applications of AI to science problems. The team is pioneering in many different domains so you may take part in exploratory work validating early ideas or work in a maturing area to deepen and exploit a promising line of research. You will collaborate with internal and external researchers on cutting-edge science bridging AI and natural science. In this role you will:
- Implement, evaluate and improve algorithms and models.
- Architect and implement software libraries.
- Report and present software developments including status and results clearly and efficiently, verbally and in writing.
- Provide software design and programming support to research projects.
- Liaise and collaborate with external scientists.
The role will suit candidates who enjoy working with large and noisy scientific datasets while building momentum through successive experiments and who wish to immerse themselves in some of the most cutting-edge ML and AI research.
- MSc/MPhys/MEng degree in computer science, mathematics, physics (or other mathematical sciences), electrical engineering, machine learning or equivalent (PhD in natural sciences field preferable)
- Strong knowledge and experience of Python.
- Knowledge of machine learning and statistics.
- Strong knowledge of algorithm design.
- Experience working with large and noisy datasets.
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualisation.
- Knowledge of TensorFlow or similar frameworks.
- Ideally experience with concurrent and distributed software architecture.
- Knowledge of NumPy and Pandas.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- Domain specific knowledge in the natural sciences or mathematical modelling.
- Experience collaborating across disciplines or between physical locations.
- A passion for AI
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Competitive salary applies.