Faculty Asst-Lab Coordinator Associate
FACUTLY NON-TENURED TRACK VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND – COLLEGE PARK CAMPUS
University of Maryland at College Park: The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (http://www.mse.umd.edu) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology Center for Neutron Research (NCNR http://www.ncnr.nist.gov) in Gaithersburg, MD is seeking candidates for a Lab Coordinator Associate position (Faculty Assistant), to manage the operations of the sample preparation laboratories for neutron scattering research. The NCNR is a national user facility that develops and makes available to the general scientific community advanced neutron instrumentation. The role of the laboratory staff is to enable users to prepare and characterize their samples at the NCNR to perform scattering experiments.
The applicant will be primarily responsible for:
- Ensures the maintenance and housekeeping of all chemical laboratories
- Ensures laboratories are stocked with supplies and chemicals and inventory is maintained.
- Maintains and ensures general working order of lab equipment, including scheduling repairs and calibrations
- Manages the chemical waste for all the chemical laboratories
- Responds to, and corrects in timely manner, safety issues noted at safety inspections
- Identifies needs for equipment, supplies, laboratory space and safety procedures based on observations and feedback from users and researchers
- Ensures that laboratory safety training and all other specifically required training is provided to users and staff
- Maintains up to date laboratory safety training and documentation and identifies, develops and improves safety training as necessary
- Understands environmental regulations and policies as well as identifying changes in laboratory operations to ensure compliance
- Keeps laboratory website up to date
- Designs and manages infrastructure changes of chemical laboratories based on user and staff feedback
- Instructs non-experts in correct techniques and safe operation of equipment, troubleshooting hardware and software problems
The position is full time and requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in chemistry, materials science, engineering, or physics. Successful candidates must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication, organizational and mechanical skills, as well as proficiency with general computing environments. One or more years managing chemical laboratories leading to a knowledge of a variety of the research fields concepts, practices, and procedures is required. Demonstrated experience and judgment used to plan and accomplish goals. Experience with implementation and monitoring of laboratory safety regulations is required. They must be able to work effectively in a team as well as efficiently perform assigned independent tasks.
This position is a cooperative position between the University of Maryland and the NCNR. The successful applicant will be a University of Maryland employee stationed at the NIST Center for Neutron Research in Gaithersburg, MD. The posting will be open until filled. For best consideration apply by September 24, 2018 with a cover letter, CV and names of 3 professional references which include former supervisor(s) at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/62174 under position number 124115. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Questions about the position should be directed to:
NIST Center for Neutron Research
100 Bureau Dr. Bldg. 235
Gaithersburg, MD 20899
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.