Pharmaceutical Application Engineering Specialist
3M is seeking a Pharmaceutical Application Engineering Specialist for the Separation and Purification Sciences Division (SPSD) located in Boston, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
3M Separation and Purification Sciences Division is a leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of a comprehensive line of products for the separation, clarification, and purification of fluids and gases covering a range of markets. Products and applications specific for our Biopharmaceutical Purification business are designed to address critical needs in the processing and purification of pharmaceuticals including recombinant proteins and other biological targets.
The person hired for the position of Pharmaceutical Application Engineering Specialist will work in the Biopharmaceutical Purification business to drive growth through collaborations with customers and external industry experts to implement manufacturing purification solutions based on the innovative integration of multiple differentiated 3M product platforms. This process innovation centric position provides the opportunity to gain experience working directly on a diverse range of cutting edge and platform pharmaceutical development and manufacturing systems. This person will have the opportunity to harness insights from industry and specific customer processes and apply engineering principles to develop and replicate high impact applications. Additionally, this person will be provided the opportunity to become a leader within the industry by engaging with industry organizations, publishing collaborative technical papers and presenting the results of innovative technical studies at international conferences.
This front-end customer facing position will provide many opportunities for career success, with options to grow broadly by working across business, functions and geographies.
For additional business group/division/product information, please visit: 3M.com/bioprocessing
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with pharmaceutical manufacturing customers throughout the United States to champion, demonstrate and implement 3M Biopharmaceutical Purification solutions by applying a strong engineering knowledge.
- Develop new applications by understanding customer manufacturing processes and pharmaceutical product requirements then formulate and demonstrate innovative purification processes through a combination of field and 3M laboratory studies.
- Position himself/herself as a technical expert capable of influencing the industry leaders and establishing new paradigms for the production scale purification of pharmaceuticals. Establish a track record of conference presentations and technical publications.
- Prepare technical reports documenting work performed. Present results, conclusions and recommendations to customers and 3M personnel as needed.
- Participate in the development and delivery of product, market and application training content for customers, sales and laboratory personnel.
- Actively participate on global new product commercialization teams by engaging directly with customers to quantify and validate product value propositions and implementing customer specific product launch plans; work with development teams to identify requirements for future products and applications.
- This position requires extensive engagement with customers in their facilities and periodic travel on short notice, as the need arises.
- Ph.D. in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in one or more the following: Biotechnology, Bioprocessing, Process Engineering/Manufacturing and/or Pharmaceutical experience in an industrial environment (private, public, government or military)
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in one or more the following: Biotechnology, Bioprocessing, Process Engineering/Manufacturing and/or Pharmaceutical experience in an industrial environment (private, public, government or military)
- Strong background in plasma fractionation processing
- Strong background in biopharmaceutical processing such as monoclonal antibody, recombinant protein or vaccine expression, purification and/or production as demonstrated through a track record of technical publications
- Results oriented individual with strong process and execution skills, exceptional sense-of-urgency that leads with high energy, focus and passion
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills, including capabilities to assess current situation, draw conclusions, envision future opportunities, and outline the strategy for buy-in.
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) and/or Statistical Analysis
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to influence people and organizations at multiple levels
- Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Ability to work independently to complete projects, as well as, work with cross-functional teams
- Microsoft Office proficient
Location: Boston, MA
Travel: May include up to 50% domestic/international
Relocation: Is authorized