Investigator, Discovery Chemistry
GlaxoSmithKline is committed to developing medicines for global health challenges including respiratory, immuno-inflammation, oncology and infectious diseases. We know that finding cures means not just finding new drugs, but finding new ways to discover drugs. One of our endeavors at GSK’s NCE Discovery site in Cambridge, MA, is developing screening technologies based on affinity selection – a discovery paradigm to screen unprecedented chemical diversity at a fraction of the time and cost of traditional methods. Our industry-leading platform based around DNA encoded small molecules (Encoded Library Technologies) is poised to achieve new levels of productivity following advances in selection methods, chemoinformatics, and high throughput chemistry. We are looking for experienced medicinal chemists to integrate the output of ELT selections into a strategy for pipeline progression. Experience with analyzing and interpreting large data sets is desired. The successful candidate will interface with business partners on therapeutic area program teams to conceive, articulate, and execute on the strategy. and technology advances.
- PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry, or related academic fields.
- Knowledgeable in the application of new synthetic methodology and high level of synthetic chemistry expertise.
- High level of scientific credibility as demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications, presentations, and/or patents.
- 3+ years of professional and/or industrial experience
- Familiar with DNA-encoded library technology (ELT) platforms being used in academic, biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
- Experience in development and/or application of bioconjugation chemistry, DNA-compatible chemistry, parallel solution phase chemistry and/or solid support chemistry.
- Experience in automated chemistry platforms and informatics tools for managing large data sets.
- Basic understanding of the early stage aspects of medicinal chemistry and the importance of compound quality (MW, cLogP, etc.).
- Examples of proposing and exploring new chemistry strategies (reaction development, synthetic routes, etc.).
- Highly organized and flexible in role assignments with solid written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a matrix team environment.
- Must demonstrate the ability to review scientific data critically and communicate these findings effectively.
- Experienced in maintaining detailed records and good capacity to comprehend scientific literature.
DNA-Encoded Library Technology (ELT) is a drug discovery platform that provides access to broad chemical diversity through affinity selections. The success of ELT relies heavily on the collection of DNA-Encoded Libraries (DELs), and on this front we are seeking a chemist that will contribute to DNA-compatible reaction development, DEL design and synthesis, and other aspects of ELT chemistry. In addition to expertise in synthetic organic chemistry, we will also be looking for a candidate that displays excellent communication, collaboration and leadership skills/potential.
Apply for Investigator, Discovery Chemistry
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly