Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Organic Chemistry to begin in Fall 2019. Applicants with expertise in Organic Chemistry are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to those with relevant experience in polymer chemistry.
- An earned Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or a closely related discipline by start date.
- One year of teaching experience (which may be satisfied by two semesters of half-time teaching assistantships in graduate school).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and interest in mentoring undergraduate research.
- Ability to effectively teach general chemistry courses.
- Ability to effectively teach upper-level courses in organic chemistry.
- Ability to develop and teach an upper-level course in polymer chemistry.
- Comprehensive experience with chemical instrumentation.
The successful candidate is expected to excel in teaching at the undergraduate level and to establish an independent research program that involves undergraduate students. Teaching responsibilities include lecture and lab courses in organic chemistry, general chemistry, and an upper-level course in polymer chemistry. Additional responsibilities include seeking external funding for undergraduate research, academic advising, performing committee service and other duties as assigned.
Department and College Information:
The UW-Platteville Chemistry Department enrolls approximately 110 majors and offers a variety of chemistry degree options including two emphases in criminalistics as well as the ACS certified chemistry degree. The criminalistics program enjoys strong ties with state, regional, and federal laboratories. The Department has a robust and diverse research program and is well equipped with modern instrumentation supporting individual research projects. For more information, please see the departmental web page at: https://www.uwplatt.edu/ems/chemistry.
The College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science (EMS) enrolls approximately 3,400 students in BS degrees in Chemistry, Mathematics, Broad-field Science, Computer Science, and Sustainability and Renewable Energy Systems, and BS degree programs in Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Industrial, Mechanical and Software Engineering, and Engineering Physics accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The College also offers an online Master of Engineering program which has been designated as a “Best Buy” in online education.
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, enrolls about 8,000 students in 42 baccalaureate and 6 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
To Ensure Consideration:
Application review begins November 1, 2018, and applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please visit our application website at www.uwplatt.edu/careers to find more details about the job and submit applications online.
Applications must include:
- A letter of application addressing all required qualifications.
- A curriculum vitae.
- A separate statement of teaching philosophy and experience (2 page limit).
- A separate statement of research plans that includes projects to engage undergraduate students (3 page limit).
- Copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for three professional references (at least one of whom can speak to teaching ability).
Questions about this position may be addressed to:
Dr. Qiong Li at (608)342-1498 or email@example.com