College of Arts & Sciences
Department of Chemistry
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
The Department of Chemistry invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship in physical chemistry to begin Fall, 2019. The successful applicant will join an active, engaged, and collegial department. For more information about the ACS-approved chemistry department, visit https://chemistry.adelphi.edu/ .The usual teaching load is 18 credits per academic year. Adelphi University is committed to encouraging faculty research by offering opportunities for research reductions and summer grants.
• Teaching courses in physical chemistry, general chemistry, and on occasion special topics courses related to one’s field of expertise.
• Commitment to teaching students from diverse cultural backgrounds and excellent potential as a teacher.
• Commitment to developing a high-quality, externally-funded research program involving undergraduate students from diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Service on departmental and university-wide committees.
• Ph.D. in chemistry is required.
• Post-doctoral or industrial experience is highly preferred.
• Demonstrated record of scholarship
• Strong teaching potential/experience at the undergraduate level.
• Applicants must apply online by submitting the following (merged into one document): cover letter, CV, statement of teaching interests and philosophy, statement of proposed research appropriate for undergraduates, undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable until hiring), research background and interests. Three letters of recommendation must be sent separately to Dr. Stephen Z. Goldberg at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Adelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from women, under-represented groups, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities and veterans.