Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism about the world of chemistry, including coverage of recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline and is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership. C&EN BrandLab is the award-winning custom content studio housed within the C&EN Media Group. The studio offers branded content to advertisers that complements the award-winning editorial reporting of C&EN’s print and digital magazines, which has a circulation of more than 150,000.
The C&EN Media Group seeks a Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab who thrives in an extremely fast-paced setting and can own the editing, production, distribution, and logistics of C&EN BrandLab products. The Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab will have to deliver products to clients on schedule at the high-level quality expected of C&EN BrandLab. The successful candidate will be a strong editor who can work with science writers to create content that meets the expectations of technical accuracy and skillful storytelling at C&EN. The candidate must excel at time management because s/he will be expected to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
Reporting to the Executive Editor of C&EN BrandLab, the Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab will serve as a content editor and oversee account and project management for C&EN BrandLab products. The products include printed show dailies newsletters, white papers, C&EN supplements, webinars, and native advertising projects. The Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab will edit content by freelance writers to make sure each piece is scientifically accurate, compelling and engaging to C&EN readers. The Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab will supervise C&EN BrandLab’s project associate to coordinate efforts of the C&EN art and production teams, ensuring content and design meets the quality standards and that projects are produced on time and on budget. The Senior Editor will oversee the work of the account manager to ensure that the needs and requests of clients are met with close attention to detail. The Senior Editor, C&EN BrandLab will be given the opportunity to write for a number of C&EN BrandLab products; for this reason, the candidate must have demonstrated strong science writing skills in the form of feature stories and profiles. S/he also will work closely with the Director of Global Advertising Sales & Sponsorships, the Executive Editor of C&EN BrandLab and the outside sales team to meet or exceed budgeted revenue.
The successful candidate is a highly motivated professional responsible for maximizing the value of C&EN’s audience to the relevant advertiser community by producing and delivering products and services. The ideal candidate should have a firm grasp of C&EN’s editorial voice and standards and be able to work across many teams to vet creative concepts and deliver high-caliber content to clients -- on brand and on time. S/he will oversee the work of C&EN BrandLab’s project associate and account manager. The ideal candidate will also be a creative individual who can help identify new revenue-generating opportunities consistent with C&EN BrandLab operations.
1. Oversee content for sponsored native pieces, eBooks and white papers by working with C&EN staff, freelance writers and clients. Participate with Executive Editor of C&EN BrandLab and clients to define scope and content elements for individual projects. Work with the assigned freelance writer(s) to ensure that submitted materials are written and edited to meet the broad and specific goals laid out by the client as well as the storytelling standards of C&EN. Leverage different multimedia strategies to create the most eye-catching content for clients. Hire freelancers as needed. On occasion, take on the writing for a project.
2. Supervise the account manager for C&EN BrandLab. Work with the account manager to ensure clients’ needs and expectations are met within the scope of projects.
3. Supervise the project associate for C&EN BrandLab in working with the C&EN art and production teams to secure resources and ensure all projects are delivered on time and budget.
4. Manage all pre-show and onsite editorial responsibilities and content for conference show daily newsletters. Connect the various participants of the conferences to get content, edit content to ensure writing meets C&EN standards, and help C&EN production staff do the layout on time and budget. Duties also include making sure that the clean copies of the show dailies get to printers on time and are distributed to conference attendees in a timely fashion.
5. Help the Executive Editor, C&EN BrandLab identify potential stories and possible sponsors for native advertising content.
6. Work with the Executive Editor of C&EN BrandLab and the Director of Global Advertising Sales & Sponsorships on product strategy to ensure market readiness.
Undergraduate degree in a scientific discipline is preferable with 7+ years of related experience in science writing and editing. Undergraduate degree in journalism or marketing will also be considered along with the 7+ years of related experience in science communications. Must demonstrate skills in long-form science writing; experience with multimedia is a plus. Position requires excellent organization and teamwork skills. Experience in branded content or trade publications strongly preferred. Position requires familiarity and experience with the Microsoft Office suite and key social media platforms.
Along with a resume, please submit 3 samples of work: Two samples have to showcase writing abilities. The third sample can show an online presence—a blog, a Twitter stream, etc.—that you’re proud of creating. Or show us how you used social media storytelling to engage with your community. Finally, tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to C&EN BrandLab. Send all materials to Rajendrani Mukhopadhyay (firstname.lastname@example.org) after submitting resume below.