Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry - Faculty, Tenure Track
The Department of Chemistry at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) invites applications from outstanding applicants for a tenure-track position in organic chemistry at the Assistant Professor level to start in August 2019.
- Primary teaching duties will include undergraduate and graduate level courses in organic chemistry; which may include college chemistry, organic chemistry, physical organic chemistry, spectroscopy, biochemistry and other specialized topics. All areas of specialization in experimental organic chemistry will be considered.
- We are particularly interested in individuals who will establish an externally-funded research program that includes masters and undergraduate-level student researchers in supramolecular chemistry, nanotechnology, polymer science, functionalized nanomaterials, or catalysis.
- The successful candidate will perform standard departmental service activities, advise and mentor students, and will be expected to establish collaborative relationships with departmental faculty, other groups within the University and/or industrial partners.
- The successful candidate may be asked to work at off campus sites and/or to provide instruction through distance education.
- Completion of a PhD in organic chemistry or closely related field.
- The ability to deliver engaging and high-quality instruction in organic chemistry courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- A commitment to conducting productive research with master's level and undergraduate students.
- Postdoctoral research experience.
- Record of seeking extramural research support evidenced by proposal submission and/or receipt of funding awards.
- Record of successful team work in a collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- The department seeks candidates whose teaching, research, or services has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- Candidates must communicate effectively and perform well during the interview(s).
The work of this position occurs in a typical office environment. Although infrequent, periods of heavy exertion may occur. Incumbent must have the following abilities:
- Ability to travel to field locations and meeting/training sites by motor vehicle when required.
- Communicate both orally and in writing to issue, receive and carry out instructions and orders effectively and to convey information to a variety of co-workers and the general public.
- Use a variety of common office machines such as telephones, calculators, copiers, computer terminals, keyboards, video display terminals, auxiliary printers and similar equipment.
- Perform manual duties such as lifting and carrying various weight limits.
- Operate office equipment which may require stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching and prolonged standing.
- Provide assistance and guidance to internal and external customers.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
To apply for this position, please submit a letter of application, a current curriculum vitae, unofficial copies of transcripts, and the names and email addresses of three references via our online application system: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/iupedu. Automated reference requests and a confirmation email will be generated upon submission of your application. Candidates who fail to submit all of the aforementioned materials will not be considered.
If the degree listed as required for this position was earned at IUP - no official transcripts are required to be submitted as part of this employment application. IUP HR will verify IUP obtained degrees and only request official transcripts from candidates if needed. Official transcripts will be required prior to hire date for applicants who did not earn the required degrees at IUP.
Applications must be received no later than December 30, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. Application review begins January 2, 2019.
Committed to excellence through diversity, IUP is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V and is a proud member of the State System of Higher Education.
All offers of employment are contingent upon verification of earned degrees through the receipt of official transcripts, confirmation of work eligibility, and satisfactory completion of background checks.