Growth in Continuous Flow Manufacturing (CFM) at MilliporeSigma has created an opportunity for a suitable individual to apply their skills to this growing area. This is a Scientist level position in Milwaukee (WI) that will concentrate on identifying new business opportunities and R&D effort leading to the development of scalable syntheses of chemical candidates employing the Continuous Flow platform. The individual will closely interact with the Flow Production teams located in Milwaukee and Sheboygan (WI) to achieve effective technology transfers. While development of flow reactions to manufacture chemicals safely and economically will be a key function, selected candidate will be expected to train and mentor junior staff. Other responsibilities will include chemistry and equipment troubleshooting, presentations to management and writing MPRs and technical reports. Selected candidate may have an opportunity to assume a leadership role in this fast growing area.
Your Role: Develop and evaluate new potential competitive products, technologies, and experimental plans, in support of marketing campaigns and initiatives. The work is expected to be accomplished in fairly independent manner, with moderate supervision.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Develop, improve, or optimize processes to support ongoing research and custom chemical manufacturing.
- Number of locations responsible for: 1
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Support process development for internal and external customers, as well as new product development:
- Design and execute experiments with the goal to improve/optimize reaction conditions, raw materials costs and isolated yields
- Plan and execute assignments to the fulfilment of assigned projects
- Transfer the developed process technology to qualification and/or production via departmentally supported procedures
- Maintain databases, document work and results accurately and generate technical reports
- Contribute as individual contributor and work as a team to achieve goals, including meeting deadlines and productivity markers
- Execute appropriate on-line and literature searches in support of assigned work and/or troubleshooting
- Interpret spectral and other analytical data for structural elucidation and support of interpretation of process outcome
- Problem solving and troubleshooting in support of departmental or plant operations
- Present scientific rationales for unexpected experimental outcomes including out-of-specification products
- Maintain ongoing communication with Manager, project management and team members of key developments in project work
- Participate in the quoting process and maintain an effective communications with customer
- Participate in the development of in-process and/or final product testing in support of the analytical development team
- Assist analytical development team in establishing specifications for intermediates and final products.
- Maintain exemplary attendance and prepared to fulfill specific project as needed
Support safety and quality Systems:
- Ensure quality throughout execution, analysis, record keeping, communications, and any other general work operations
- Take necessary actions to resolve any unsafe work conditions and perform quality audit as applicable
- Adhere to the company’s ergonomics practices and the 5S practices
- Execute and maintain safe work practices, environment and high standards of quality
- Acknowledge all safety training materials promptly
- Identify specific operations training as assigned (by self, supervisor, or safety representative)
- Ensure training is completed and acknowledged in the system
- Contribute or delegate to support functions of the laboratory (e.g., maintain equipment per standard operating procedures, prepare reagents, restock laboratory supplies, dispose of waste).
Promote the Company’s Continuous Improvement philosophy:
- Participate in training programs to continuously develop knowledge and technical expertise
- Remain current within the scientific field through professional training
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and participate in process improvement initiatives
- Create and sustain a goal-oriented climate of innovation while addressing process safety
Foster a climate of constructive intra- and inter-departmental interaction:
- Train, coach personnel and act as a technical consultant as required
- Share acquired knowledge with team via appropriate training/coaching sessions
- Evaluate employee performance and provide timely feed-back if applicable
- Assist in the candidate selection process in a manner consistent within company guidelines
- As a consultant assist qualification and/or production through the process developed (including batch record reviews)
- Delegate consultancy assignments to direct reports as applicable and remain recognizable scientific resource across departments
- Serve as consultant on one’s defined core of expertise as applicable (e.g., carbohydrate chemistry, steroid chemistry, organometallic chemistry, polymer/monomer chemistry, etc.)
Who You Are:
- Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry or Organometallic Chemistry
- Minimum 4 years relevant laboratory experience. Preferable, at least 2 additional years in an industrial process development environment.
- A strong mechanical apptitude, engineering coursework or prior experience in CFM
- Prior process development experience
- Knowledge of chemical synthesis and safe chemical handling.
- Purification techniques (crystallization, distillation, chromatography).
- Basic chemical analysis (GC, mp, HPLC, IR, UV, NMR).
- Knowledge of spectra interpretation and mathematics.
- Good communication skills and efficient use of chemical literature
- Technical writing (experimental procedures, reports, etc.)
- Computer literate (SAP, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, etc.).
- Organizational and time management skills. Interpersonal skills and knowledge of ISO Quality standards.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
Lab Environment: Works near moving mechanical parts. Is frequently required to wear appropriate protective gear, (hard hats, glasses/goggles, chemical resistant suits, gloves, safety shoes) and other personal protection equipment “PPE” to protect themselves from toxic or corrosive chemicals in the forms of liquids, solids, vapors or airborne particles.
Job Requisition ID: 185537
Career Level: B - Recent University Graduate(<1 year of experien
Working time model: full-time