Expansion Therapeutics is a drug discovery and development company pursuing the vast potential of
small molecule medicines for RNA‐mediated diseases. We are initially focused on expansion repeat
disorders, a set of ~30 genetic diseases for which there are no satisfactory therapies. Our lead disease
focus, myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1), is the most frequent cause of adult onset muscular dystrophy.
Expansion has assembled an initial focused pipeline of compositions targeting repeats that drive a
number of expansion repeat disorders.
Perform research in the laboratory as a synthetic and medicinal chemist applying the latest knowledge and techniques in the field. Advance the assigned program and contribute to the identification of a lead or development candidate.
• Design and execute syntheses of complex organic molecules on a milligram to multi-gram scale
• Use advanced laboratory techniques to purify mixtures of compounds
• Use state of the art techniques to characterize intermediates and final compounds
• Rationally design a series of target molecules for a pharmacological target of interest
• Use medicinal chemistry tools and techniques to plan and design synthetic targets
• Communicate results to co-workers and management in both oral and written manner and assist in the preparation of patent applications
• Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry strongly preferred; a combination of relevant education and applicable job experience may be considered
• 1-2 years of post-graduate experience working in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry or a related position as a laboratory scientist
• Highly proficient in advanced synthetic, purification and spectroscopic techniques utilized in the preparation and characterization of complex organic molecules
• Demonstrated ability to design synthetic targets and successfully execute their syntheses
• Several first author or co-author publications in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating research accomplishments is preferred
• Familiarity with Structure-Based Drug Design
• Firm understanding of modern Medicinal Chemistry concepts and the ability to use them in the design of target molecules or to improve the properties of existing compounds
• Ability to work effectively in teams and collaborate with other scientists including microbiologists, structural biologists, pharmacologists and toxicologists
• Self-starter with a strong work ethic and ability to work independently and show flexibility when needed
• Effective oral and written English communication skills
• Familiarity with standard laboratory instrumentation, computers, and office and laboratory software