Vice President of Product Development
We are seeking a Vice President of Product Development who will be responsible for the identification and development of new formulas and line extensions skincare, body and herbal remedy products from concept to execution, working creatively with our Founder, Barbara Close and strategically with Marketing. They will be responsible for managing all phases of new product development including: trend scouting, competitive analysis, ideation, conceptualization, communication of key details with cross-functional teams, formula evaluation, facilitation of field and consumer testing, and obtaining final ingredient lists. They will partner closely with Product Marketing, Integrated Marketing, Creative and Operations. They will report to Founder, Barbara Close.
Research & Analysis:
- Support development of consumer inspired new product innovation strategy to support brand's strategic direction, including focus in fast-growing categories and subcategories, hero products, and key franchises
- Actively research new ideas/concepts, breakthrough technologies, and innovative ingredients across a variety of industries, research and educational institutions, scientific literatures and translate into tangible products
- Conduct research based on topics of special interest and develop product applications based on research
- Research and report on competitive product launches and new technologies through daily beauty blogs, industry reports, etc.
- Attend industry conferences and lectures to keep informed of new product and packaging directions and trends
- Drive brainstorming sessions/R&D meetings with Marketing as well as third party supplier/vendor meetings to identify new innovation opportunities and product concepts
- Initiate and complete Project Concepts that frame product launch – desired formula aesthetic, claims, etc.
- Define a quality benchmark prototype
- Spearhead the development of new formulas and line extensions across Skincare, Body and Herbal Remedies categories
- Identify new/improved formulation technologies and implement them to meet project needs
- Lead communications with suppliers/vendors to support the development process
- Write Product Profiles to generate creative claim opportunities and identify competitive advantages to further enhance product positioning
- Create range of potential claims in coordination with Marketing and direct necessary claims testing
- Evaluate product submissions for texture, color, scent, etc. Own distribution of product samples to broader team.
- Work with brand aestheticians in product evaluation testing
- Conduct in-house product evaluation and sniff tests. Report on internal test results.
- Analyze data in support of panel tests and product questionnaires.
- Maintain Consumer Testing results and associated Executive Summaries.
- Evaluate and approve proposed package submissions for evacuation, aesthetics, and functionality
- Approve Lab Standards, Test Fills, Pre/Production Batches (on-site at US and International suppliers/vendors if necessary)
- Maintain up-to-date records and storage of development samples, pilot samples, and production samples from suppliers.
- Complete Safety/Sensory test requests
- Follow-up on start/finish testing dates
- Manage relationship with Regulatory/Compliance to ensure claims approval
- Obtain and cascade final ingredient lists (ILN/INCI) to key cross-functional partners (Regulatory/Compliance, Marketing, Creative, Operations)
- Manage Certifications process in partnership with suppliers and relevant organizations (Cosmos, etc.)
- Partner with Marketing, Creative, and Operations to maintain timelines and provide accurate and up to date information
- Attend weekly New Product Development and Operations meetings to communicate product's development progress
- Ensure timely completion of development activities
- Provide clear direction to Creative and Operations on all formulation aspects including ingredients, actives, viscosity, color, as well as formula limitations
- Review and approve final artwork in partnership with Regulatory/Compliance and Product Marketing
- Assist Marketing and Sales/Education in developing and/or reviewing product information for field, consumer, press and Influencers.
Product Line Maintenance:
- Identify opportunities to reformulate/update existing Products
- Manage reformulation process as if it were a new product launch
- Review and approve updated artwork in partnership with Regulatory/Compliance and Product Marketing
- Provide updated information to Sales and Education for existing line
- Maintain ingredient database
Core Skill Set:
- Must have curative lens on what is innovative
- Must have understanding of chemical compounds and ingredients
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications.
- Must be forward-looking thinker with trend-hunting mindset
- Must have a passion for skincare
- Must be an excellent team player with strong analytical and communication skills
- Must possess the ability to multi-task, establish priorities and yet be flexible in an ever-changing environment with extreme time constraints
Experience & Requirements:
- 7-10 years technical experience in Product Development or R&D
- Strong chemistry knowledge; knowledge of OTC protocols a plus
- Strong Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) or cosmetics/related industry knowledge
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; balance of analytical and creative
- Excellent research and analysis skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in relevant scientific field
Naturopathica is a manufacturer of prestige, naturally focused skin care and herbal remedy products that use clean, non-toxic ingredients to provide holistic wellness solutions. Naturopathica distributes direct to consumers via two flagship spa locations, the direct ecommerce site and Amazon, as well as retail and spa partners.
Barbara Close founded Naturopathica® with a simple mission: to educate about the benefits of holistic health and its connection to beauty. Inspired by our background in herbalism, we believe in the healing power of plants and pair natural ingredients with clean actives to deliver true and lasting results.
Two decades later, we continue to draw from our founder’s knowledge as an herbalist, esthetician and aromatherapist to develop premium skin care, body care and herbal remedies.