Scientist I, Chemistry
Scientist I, Chemistry
About Morphic Therapeutic
Morphic Therapeutic is a biotechnology company developing a new generation of oral integrin therapies. Drawing on integrin biology breakthroughs from the lab of noted entrepreneur and scientific founder Tim Springer, Morphic has developed an exclusive platform to build on these discoveries, complemented by a partnership with computational chemistry leader Schrödinger, Inc., that facilitates the rapid and iterative design of clinical candidates. Morphic was created in 2015 with support from Timothy Springer, PhD, Polaris Partners, Schrödinger Inc., and ShangPharma and raised $51.5M in 2016 from top tier investors. In September 2018, Morphic Therapeutic completed an $80 million Series B financing round to advance multiple programs into the clinic. We recently announced a collaboration with AbbVie on a subset of our fibrosis programs. Under the terms of the agreement, AbbVie paid Morphic an upfront payment of $100 million for exclusive license options on product candidates directed at multiple targets. Morphic retains co-development rights in liver indications. Integrins are involved in multiple disease areas, including inflammation, fibrosis, vascular diseases and cancer, and inhibitors are clinically validated. The combination of Morphic’s deep integrin expertise with your skills will enable a rapid path to novel and effective drugs for both orphan and blockbuster indications. Morphic’s laboratories are located in the AstraZeneca BioHub in Waltham, MA. We are looking for a scientist that displays integrity and pride in their work. An ideal candidate will be determined, value teamwork, and share Morphic's compassion towards patients.
Morphic Therapeutic is seeking a skilled synthetic organic chemist to join our medicinal chemistry team. This position will be primarily lab based with a strong focus on chemistry problem solving for the synthesis of key analogs. Additional responsibilities may include route design and trouble-shooting in collaboration with one or more ore of our globally placed chemistry CROs. The role will suit an individual with a passion for science, strong problem-solving skills, and a sense of urgency to deliver in an early stage, fast paced biotech company.
- Be a key driver of synthetic chemistry problem solving and strategy for multiple projects
- Solve difficult synthetic organic chemistry challenges, both directly in lab, as well as intellectually
- Design routes to key targets of interest
- Communicate and enable external chemistry teams through these efforts with high efficiency
- Work closely with multiple internal chemists to prioritize chemistry efforts to advance projects quickly in a collaborative manner
- Mentor junior chemists in the lab to enhance their skills and productivity
- Take responsibility for key Morphic equipment and tools to enhance department effectiveness
- Participate in the design of drug-like molecules that utilize practical synthetic techniques to efficiently deliver compounds for biological testing
- As a key member of Morphic’s scientific staff, positively influence Morphic’s overall scientific and corporate culture.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent) in chemistry with 0-3 years of research experience
- Track record of innovation and creative problem solving as evidenced by completing the synthesis of complex molecules
- Passionate about hands-on organic synthesis of small molecules with a broad knowledge of modern synthetic organic chemistry and synthetic methods including multi-step synthesis; in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with a wide range of techniques in synthesis, purification, and spectroscopic characterization of novel compounds (NMR, LC-MS, HPLC, etc.).
- Strong publication record in organic synthesis
- Ability to utilize analytical tools to determine the structure of complex molecules
- Flexible, open minded, tactful, creative and inclusive
- Ability to guide external collaborations, in particular, external synthetic organic chemistry at CROs
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, known as an excellent member of teams working together to solve difficult scientific challenges
Morphic Therapeutic is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment that maximizes our employees’ development and achievement goals. We strive to treat each employee as an individual, as we seek to foster a spirit of teamwork to help change patients’ lives. In addition to a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, a 401K and a generous vacation and holiday schedule.