Experienced PhD Chemist in Polyolefin Catalyst R&D
LyondellBasell, one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking an R&D Catalyst Chemist Researcher for the Cincinnati Technology Center (CTC) in Cincinnati, Ohio. CTC is a state-of-the-art R&D facility which supports LyondellBasell's North American Polyolefins Business. CTC R&D focuses on providing the best catalyst and polymer technologies, polyolefin products, and technical support for our Polyolefins Manufacturing and Business organizations.
The R&D Catalyst Researcher leads efforts in the identification, optimization, and industrialization of catalysts for polyolefin polymerization. This includes identifying and developing catalyst technologies that allow development of new or improved polyolefin grades or reduced costs and/or increased efficiencies at our manufacturing plants. The Researcher develops and directs laboratory projects, and both leads and participates in dynamic cross-functional teams.
This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a Global R&D organization with Industry Experts in polyolefin catalysts, polymerization technologies, and products. This position offers a competitive base salary, annual bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package including pension plan, employee discounts, and more.
- Identify, develop and direct laboratory programs related to catalyst chemistry, olefin polymerization, polymer characterization, and polymer processing.
- Become known as Subject Matter Expert (SME) and a company resource in their specific area of technical responsibility.
- Strong commitment to personal safety, process safety, and promoting a safe work environment. Participate and lead thorough hazard analyses of laboratory operations and process equipment.
- Understand internal customer needs to identify opportunities and develop projects to enhance product value or manufacturing capabilities.
- Provide support to manufacturing plants including process improvement initiatives and other activities aimed at operational excellence and continuous improvement in line with business needs.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional project teams including R&D, Manufacturing, and Business colleagues.
- Work effectively with colleagues to plan, execute, problem solve, and communicate experimental results.
- Demonstrate leadership and the ability to positively influence and enhance individual and team performance.
- Requires occasional travel.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, preferably Organometallic or Inorganic Chemistry, with a minimum of 3-10 years of industrial experience, preferably in the Polyolefins industry.
- Preference will be given to candidates having experience in experimental design, bench scale laboratory equipment, and statistical data analysis.
- Highly self-motivated individual, committed to delivering results in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
- Strong technical orientation, able to use and build on their technical education, training, and experience to perform well in a R&D work environment.
- Excellent chemical handling skills and willingness to work with flammable and/or hazardous chemicals using proper safety precautions and equipment.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, sharing information, and giving and accepting feedback. Holds self and peers to a high standard of performance.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with technicians, fellow researchers, plant engineers, and upper management.
- Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities with minimal supervision.