Technical Service Specialist - Construction
What we offer:
You will work on exciting and challenging topics together with a team in an ultra-modern, innovative and creative environment. Intensive on-the-job training with expert colleagues guarantees you will quickly become familiar with your duties and perform them independently. Performance related pay and the opportunity for personal and professional development are of course part of the package. Since 2009 Evonik Industries AG has been certified as a family-friendly company by the German Hertie Foundation.
This position in the Polymer and Construction Specialties (PCS) team will provide technical support and leadership for the construction segment in the Americas region. The role involves designing and executing laboratory experiments to evaluate various Evonik and competitive additives in admixtures and dry mixes. In addition to lab work, the chemist will interact with customers, manufacturing, and commercial teams in the Americas region to provide technical guidance and leadership to solve problems, identify opportunities, and support business growth. One aspect of this job is thinking outside the box to expand the market reach of current or new additives for construction. The role also involves occasional interaction with technical and commercial personnel in other regions, mainly Germany and Brazil.
Tech Support & Leadership:
Engage in lab work that will include formulating, evaluating additives, applications testing, addressing customer complaints/manufacturing-related initiatives or issues, and PCS business-driven initiatives.
Based upon lab work, provide technical guidance and solutions/recommendations to customers, manufacturing, and PCS commercial team.
Internal & External Communications:
- Document/report lab work status, attend project-related meetings/other PCS team meetings, other PCS chemists and Americas commercial personnel, conference calls with US, Germany, and Brazil.
- Provide guidance/recommendations to commercial team.
- Phone calls, e-mails with customers covering technical problem-solving, sharing technical data, information exchange, providing product recommendations, guiding on how to use Evonik products; occasional interactions with vendors for equipment purchases, outside testing labs for special tests on Evonik products, and toll manufacturers to discuss scale up runs.
- A majority would be customer visits to cover technical problem-solving, sharing technical data, information/idea exchange.
- Occasional attendance at construction industry trade shows/conferences.
- Evaluate opportunities in new markets/new applications for Evonik's additives. Lead product tweak/development initiatives.
- Take ownership of construction segment projects/tech service initiatives; plan and execute lab work; identify/coordinate And utilize resources; maintain timely communication with project stakeholders.
- Maintain a safe & productive laboratory; good housekeeping; ensure availability and proper functioning of equipment.
- BS in chemistry or related field.
- Atleast 3 years in the construction industry and having familiarity with the use of various types of performance enhancement additives for concrete; interfacial science experience, knowledge of surfactants and defoamers would be a plus.
- Must have a good understanding of basic principles of chemistry; must be well acquainted with proper laboratory practices; must have a basic understanding of EHS policies and standards.
- Experience in the following areas would be highly desirable: project management, direct interaction with customers to provide technical support, and working with cross-functional/cross-regional teams.
- Familiarity with US construction industry markets, key suppliers and customers, and regulatory trends is desirable.
- Computer literacy - Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.