Salary: $61,279.00 - $84,837.00 Annually
Location: Glendale, CA
Job Type: Full-time Faculty
Job Number: 49419
Closing: 3/21/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month-per-year position. This classroom teaching assignment is in the Chemistry Dept. in the Physical Sciences Division. The assignment will include teaching lecture and laboratory courses in chemistry for prospective majors and for those who need a lab science class to satisfy part of their general education requirements. Full-time members of our teaching faculty maintain 15 instructional and 5 office hours per week and are expected to devote as much time as necessary to perform the professional responsibilities of the position. General responsibilities include preparation of lecture and laboratory materials, coordination of lab preparation with support staff, and participation in Physical Sciences Division and campus-wide activities. Participation in professional activities, curriculum development, and campus committees is also required. The assignment may involve teaching the evening and/or weekend classes, and developing and teaching online and/or hybrid courses. This position reports to the Division Chair, Physical Sciences Division.
The Physical Sciences Division at Glendale Community College comprises instructional programs in astronomy, chemistry, geology and oceanography, physical science, and physics. Students in the Division represent a larger proportion of College-wide transfer credit numbers than most other community colleges in Southern California. Our available facilities include a state of the art digital planetarium, multimedia-equipped and fully wired lecture halls, and well-equipped chemistry, geology and physics laboratories, as well as a state-of-the-art science complex currently under development.
Examples of Duties
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Effectively teach lecture and laboratory courses in chemistry to both students majoring in the sciences and to general education students.
• Use demonstrations, active learning strategies, and lecture to deliver content to students.
• Keep up with technological changes related to student learning in chemistry and promote the use of appropriate data gathering and analysis technologies in the laboratory and classroom.
• Promote a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning.
• Maintain academic standards and assess students appropriately on well-articulated student learning outcomes (SLO) and program learning outcomes (PLO).
• Participate in assessment cycles of student and program learning outcomes.
• Maintain and submit electronic copies of grades and related paperwork within established deadlines.
• Keep the students informed about their progress during the semesters.
• Maintain regular, posted office hours and be accessible to students.
• Develop new curricula or courses as needed.
• Participate in campus governance by serving on committees or doing other related work on campus.
• Participate in professional activities that will help maintain currency in chemistry and teaching in general.
• Participate in department program planning and review.
• Fully comply with the department and division policies.
Master's in chemistry OR Bachelor's in chemistry or biochemistry AND Master's degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics OR the equivalent.
• Experience in teaching chemistry at a community college.
• Possession of a broad-based background in chemistry with sufficient mastery of the subject to teach organic, general, introductory, and chemistry for nursing majors.
• Proficiency in the use of computers and experience in technology-mediated instruction and curriculum development.
• Familiarity with the usage of social media to promote and foster student learning and teamwork.
• Experience in working with diverse cultural/ethnic groups.
• Possession of doctorate in chemistry or related field.
Starting salary is from $61,279 to $84,837 per year depending upon education and experience. Step placement within the appropriate column is determined by Article VIII of the Collective Bargaining agreement. Fringe benefits, which are subject to change pursuant to negotiations under Section 3500 of the California Government Code, are presently provided may include, depending on the position, family and domestic partner medical and dental, two-party vision plan, and employee life insurance.
How to Apply
To apply, visit http://apptrkr.com/1387681
This position requires the following documents to be attached to your online application in order to be considered:
• Current resume
• Cover letter that addresses minimum and desirable qualifications
• Transcripts showing required degree must be submitted. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted only during the application process. Official transcripts are required upon offer of employment. Foreign transcripts and degrees require official certification of equivalency to U.S. transcripts and degrees by a certified U.S. review service at the time of application.
Please note: All required documentation must be attached to the online application by the applicant by the closing date. Additional documents not requested in the announcement, will not be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Your application and any required attachments must be submitted by Thursday, March 21 2019 by 5:00 p.m. Applications with incomplete information (i.e. statements such as "see resume") or missing documents will not be considered. If you have additional questions please call 818-240-1000 ext. 5921.
All completed applications and application materials will be screened to ensure that the minimum requirements stated in the job announcement are met. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest degree of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college for an interview at their own expense. Each interview will include a teaching demonstration on an assigned topic. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of Glendale Community College.
Additional openings, for the same position, which become available prior to the end of the hiring process may be filled by qualified applicants that applied to this job announcement.
This position is offered contingent upon funding. The district reserves the right to extend, withdraw, and/or reopen this position at any time.
About the College
Glendale Community College (GCC) is nestled in the foothills of the San Rafael Mountains, centrally located at the intersection of three major freeways, just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. Glendale is affectionately known as Jewel City, one of the fastest growing communities in the Southern California region. A vibrant hub of economic activity and cultural diversity; it is an exciting place to work and live!
GCC is recognized throughout the state as a model of shared governance and collegiality. Known for excellence and rigor, we have one of the highest transfer rates to the UC system and other California four-year colleges. Additionally, the college offers a broad range of vocational programs and takes pride in providing outstanding student services and curriculum to help prepare students for success in the 21st Century.
GCC is committed to maintaining an environment which provides opportunities to individuals with a wide variety of talents, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. We believe in the importance of diversity amongst our faculty, staff, and student population to better serve the college and surrounding communities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Glendale Community College District provides all applicants for district employment with equal employment opportunities and provides present employees with training, compensation, promotion, and all other attributes of employment without regard to a person's race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, veterans' status, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, gender identity or disability.
Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation for the application, testing or interviewing processes should contact the Human Resources Department at the time of application submission.