Senior Scientist, Biotransformation/Structural Elucidation
This individual will focus on the design, conduct, profiling and interpretation of biotransformation and drug metabolite characterization studies across multiple species and in multiple biological matrices. Research investigations will be conducted towards the development of new drug metabolism techniques for addressing biotransformation issues associated with drug discovery projects. As a result, the position requires expert knowledge in the application of analytical approaches such as assorted tandem mass spectrometry techniques to enable structural characterization of drug metabolites. Excellent communication and collaboration skills are necessary as the position will entail partnering with other scientists in PDM including enzymology experts, project representatives in the Discovery and Development arenas, and other research lines (eg Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Safety) to provide timely biotransformation expertise, knowledge and guidance to discovery and development projects. These duties also require the authoring of scientific documents for internal study reports, external publications and for reports in support of regulatory submissions.
- PhD with 0-3 years of experience, Master's Degree with 3-6 years of experience or Bachelor's Degree with 6-8 years of experience with a degree concentrating in either Chemistry, pharmaceutics or related scientific discipline.
- Expertise in the development and application of qualitative LC-MS/MS and/or NMR techniques.
- Ability to interpret MS/MS fragmentation pathways generated from small molecules for structural elucidation.
- Outstanding oral/written communication skills for informing and directing PDM colleagues and discovery project team members.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Skills in separation science for isolating drugs and metabolites from complex biological matrices.
- Knowledge of stable and radiolabel isotope techniques for drug metabolism studies.
- Understanding of bioactivation pathways and methods associated with detecting reactive intermediates.
- In a drug discovery environment, experience with handling and preparation of biological samples containing radioisotopes.
- Strong foundation in metabolic pathways and biotransformation mechanisms.
- Identify, evaluate and implement new work processes, methodologies and technologies to advance biotransformation science
- Experience in the disposition and mass spectral bioanalysis of large molecules
Other Job Details:
- Additional Location Information: Groton, CT
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: Yes
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.