Chemistry, Visiting Assistant Professor
1 day left
- Job Type
- Full time
The Chemistry Department at the College of Saint Benedict/ Saint John's University invites applications for a full-time one-year term position to begin in August 2019. The successful candidate will teach courses and laboratories covering principles of structure and properties across organic, inorganic and biological chemistry as part of our innovative curriculum (https://www.csbsju.edu/chemistry/our-curriculum).
The chemistry faculty form a diverse and collaborative 12-member department with an active research program featuring modern facilities, robust instrumentation, and cross-disciplinary interests. Approximately 40 chemistry and biochemistry majors graduate each year.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3600 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference...please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity
CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
The successful candidate will teach courses and laboratories covering principles of structure and properties across organic, inorganic and biological chemistry as part of our innovative curriculum (https://www.csbsju.edu/chemistry/our-curriculum). The successful candidate will be supported through departmental mentoring and training to develop inclusive and interactive pedagogy.
- PhD in chemistry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to provide constructive feedback to students
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduates, with ability to reach diverse learners in small class and laboratory settings
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and the desire to work with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Integrative understanding of chemical structure and properties in organic, inorganic and biochemical settings, with ability to teach from integrated framework
- Experience interpreting NMR spectra
- Experience using IR, UV-vis, and MS
- Experience using standard laboratory purification techniques
- Ability to work as an effective team member in a highly collaborative department
- Tolerance for real world laboratory outcomes
- Evidence of creative problem solving
- Commitment to professional growth
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted online at http://employment.csbsju.edu . Applicants must submit:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy which includes how the candidate will address inclusion and diversity in the classroom
- Names and contact information of three references
- Copies of all transcripts
Review of applications will begin March 11, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
If you require special accommodations to participate in the College of Saint Benedict/ Saint John's University hiring process, please contact us at (320) 363-5500 or email@example.com
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct pre-employment background checks. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.