Principal Scientist - Analytical Chemistry
Recursion is expanding its portfolio at an unparalleled speed by combining image-based unbiased phenotypic screens and deep learning. Hits emerging from partner libraries or our constantly growing small molecule repurposing and diversity cassettes undergo rapid hit expansion and lead generation. Our lead optimization and preclinical development efforts are then moved towards the IND stage by small cross-functional teams.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
The high-level job description has only one item: do whatever is necessary to achieve our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives. You will be the lead analytical chemist developing methods and performing the analysis of small molecules for purity/ID to support screening/hit identification and CMC. You will also contribute to our program teams by analyzing biological samples for API (ADMET) and building clinical translation through biomarker development . This newly-created position will report to our VP of Chemistry and on-board appropriate analytical instrumentation (LCMS) and build/manage a small core of analytical chemists to support all phases of small molecule drug discovery.
We're looking for chemists who want to:
- Advise - You will be the analytical chemistry expert internally and partner with program teams to provide molecules to the clinic.
- Collaborate - You will work with our In Vivo, ADME and CMC teams to develop methods for sample analysis.
- Lead - As our company continues to grow, you will be a part of an efficient top talent chemistry team where you will lead analytical chemistry efforts and the evaluation/acquisition of new technology.
- Mentor - You will provide mentorship and guidance to junior analytical chemists and diverse partners and teams.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- PhD in analytical chemistry
- 10+ years of experience in analytical chemistry supporting drug discovery with a strong record of productivity.
- Expertise as in analytical instrumentation and methods development
- Expertise in bioanalytical methods and biomarker identification
- Experience with methods development to support CMC is a plus
- Experience in automation and the routine analysis of small molecules for purity and ID
- Experience leading exceptional talent and an eagerness to mentor others
- Demonstrable creative thinking skills, intellectual curiosity, the ability to prioritize multiple projects and take calculated risks
- Excitement to work on a fast-paced team in the culture of a growing startup, where you will use creativity and a passion for learning
PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching
- Flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Company-provided lunches, snacks, and beverages to keep you fueled up
- Industry-leading paid maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Two one-week company closures during the winter holidays and during the peak of summer
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Impressive office & laboratory space located in downtown Salt Lake City
- In-office showers, lockers, bike parking, an 80-ft climbing wall (yes, inside our office), nearby trail access - to promote an active and outdoorsy lifestyle
WHAT WE DO
We start with various human cell types in our automated laboratory, where we perturb biology 100k different ways each week (e.g. model a disease of interest, add a chemical compound, or some combination of those). We image the resulting cells using high throughput microscopy, resulting in about 2 million new images or greater than 20 terabytes of data each week. These data are analyzed using computer vision and machine learning methods that help us measure how cell morphology changes in subtle ways in each biological context. We can answer direct questions (e.g. are there compounds that rescues a disease-specific set of morphological changes), and over time as our dataset has increased, we can ask more complex questions across biology. From the outset, our approach is agnostic to preconceived notions and dogma in biology, empowering Recursion to operate in unique target space. Potential treatments from this platform are then evaluated by our discovery biology team, who develop a literature-based understanding of the disease and use traditional wet-lab approaches to confirm and prioritize the hits.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.