Research scientist - Biochemistry
About Chemeleon: Chemeleon (www.chemeleon.com) is a Brooklyn-based startup company developing disruptive sensing technology to make a safer and smarter world. Our platform colorimetric sensor technology provides an autonomous and inert means of rapidly and accurately detecting chemical compounds in the field, obviating the need for slow, complex and expensive lab analysis for healthcare providers and laymen alike. Under grants from the National Science Foundation, we are utilizing this platform technology to detect "date rape drugs" via smart straws and stirrers that will effectively change colors upon the detection of ketamine, GHB and benzodiazepines in alcoholic beverages. Next, under a grant from the National Institutes of Health, we will harness this platform technology to develop a point-of-care diagnostic to detect Cerebrospinal Fluid to enable neurosurgeons to optimize treatments for patients. We have 12 patents for this ground-breaking platform technology and a team of experienced entrepreneurs and R&D scientists to lead the way.
We have an exciting opportunity for an energetic, highly motivated research scientist to join our technology development team. An advanced degree in biochemistry or related discipline with a record of peer-reviewed publications and demonstrated past experience in biotechnology is required.Applicants should have hands-on experience in protein biochemistry and nucleic acid chemistry. A strong background in molecular sensing and biosensor development is preferred. The ideal candidate should be highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work on interdisciplinary research projects.
Required Skills & Experience
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biomedical Engineering, Materials science, Chemistry or other related discipline.
- Extensive hands on experience on proteins extraction, purification, quantification, modification and conjugation; Expertise and experience in DNA/RNA extraction, PCR amplification and sequencing; Experience with separation techniques such as chromatography and capillary electrophoresis.
- Strong educational background with peptide design/synthesis/purification/characterization, aptamer technology, manipulation of DNA- or RNA-interacting proteins and peptides, and general background in synthetic chemistry and molecular biochemistry.
- Proven track record of creativity combined with the ability to develop novel methods and assays.
- Demonstrated analytical and creative thinker. Ability to work independently or in a team environment to successfully plan and complete projects and solve research problems.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, cheerful individual who wants to be part of a dynamic technology development team
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills are essential;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, time sensitive, startup environment with positive can-do attitude.
Preferred Skills & Experience (not required)
- Hands-on experience or familiarity in microfluidics and cleanroom nanofabrication techniques including electron beam lithography, reactive ion etching, or thin-film deposition
- Experience in nanomaterial characterization and data interpretation (Microscopy, optical spectroscopy, SEM, AFM)
- Polymer science and color science
- Experience in nanotechnology research and product commercialization
- Experience in filing USPTO patent and applying for federal funding: NIH, NSF, DoD.
- Knowledge in electronics and optics is a plus
- Experience in sensor technology development
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Engage in clear and concise communication with colleagues and supervisors through oral updates, written reports and technical meetings.
- Troubleshoot and improve existing processes, tools and chemistries to create robust products and improve process performance
- Fabricate and functionalize materials at length scales from mm to nm, using a wide range of technologies
Apply for Research scientist - Biochemistry
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly