Amgen Inc. seeks a Scientist in Cambridge, MA.
Work You’ll Do
Conduct laboratory experiments to design, synthesize and characterize small molecules for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. Plan and execute research projects, defining project timelines, milestones, methodological approaches, expected results and necessary resources. Use NMR and Mass Spectral analytical techniques to synthesize, purify and characterize new chemical compounds. Utilize structure-based and computer-aided drug design tools, including PyMol, MOE, TIBCO Spotfire, and Pipeline Pilot. Work closely with other scientists in Medicinal Chemistry to review, analyze and interpret scientific data and results. Provide regular updates, documentation and communication on project results to supervisor and group members. Write technical reports and provide scientific results that detail methods and findings. Maintain laboratory practices, including ensuring proper work order (protocols) and safety. Use NMR spectroscope, including Waters, HP, Bruker,Varian and Agilent instruments for structural characterization and reaction analysis. Present research findings in national and international scientific meetings. Use ChemDraw software for molecular structure representation and prediction of molecular properties. Perform NMR data analysis utilizing XWinNMR, MNova and ACD Spectrus. Stay abreast of latest technology developments and keep current with industry standards as well as regulations.
Doctorate degree in Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry or related field. Or Master’s degree in Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry or related field and 2 years of related experience.
Must have experience in the following:
- Conducting laboratory experiments, including performing designing, synthesis and characterization;
- Defining project timelines, milestones, methodological approaches, expected results and necessary resources;
- Using NMR spectroscopy (Bruker and Varian instruments) for structural characterization and reaction analysis;
- Using PyMol software for visualization and analysis of crystallographic structural data;
- Handling hazardous materials such as pyrophoric, air sensitive, toxic, or flammable in a safe and compliant manner;
- Presenting and communicating scientific results at a high level, including technical reports, research update meetings, peer-reviewed publications, and conference presentations;
- Using Scifinder and Reaxys web applications to search and analyze scientific literature;
- Using ChemDraw software for molecular structure representation and prediction of molecular properties; and
- Using XWinNMR, MNova, and ACD Spectrus software for NMR data analysis.
Any suitable combination of education, training, or experience is acceptable.
Full time employment, Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week.
TO APPLY: Please mail resume to Tania Horst, HR Operations Manager, 2202 N. Westshore Blvd., Suite 250, Tampa, FL 33607, and refer to Requisition Code # AMMA0002