Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 18-124
Campus: Foothill College
Close/Initial Review Date: 4/29/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Initial Review Date: 4/29/19*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Chemistry, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Dean of the Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering Division, instruct community college lecture and laboratory chemistry courses to a diverse student population in a culturally competent manner. Teach Introductory and General Chemistry courses along with the full range of lower division chemistry courses taught at Foothill College as needed. Plan, organize, and oversee curriculum development with special attention to the laboratory. Prepare laboratory schedules and participate in collaborative efforts to establish protocols that promote safety in the handling of hazardous chemicals. Participate in mentoring of part-time faculty. Assist in the growth and success of students through careful preparation of instructional materials, application of effective teaching methodologies, and timely communication of critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
• Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Vision sufficient to read various materials.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
• Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
• Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
• Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
• Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Master's degree in chemistry OR bachelor's degree in chemistry or biochemistry AND master's degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry OR the equivalent.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
• Demonstrated academic scholarship in the theoretical foundations of introductory and general chemistry.
• Teaching experience in lecture and laboratory courses in introductory and general chemistry.
• Evidence of responsiveness to racial, socioeconomic, academic, and cultural diversity among community college student population including students with different learning abilities.
• Extensive experience working and/or teaching in the chemistry laboratory, including the following:
• Hands-on experience with the maintenance and operation of instruments used in college laboratories.
• Skill with common wet laboratory techniques.
• Experience with and knowledge of current hazardous waste handling in a chemistry laboratory.
• Experience maintaining a safe laboratory environment in compliance with safety rules and regulations.
• Familiarity and facility in use of technology as a teaching aid in the classroom.
• Ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
• Interest in working with campus community such as shared governance, student clubs, academic senate, community organizations etc.
In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate:
• Enthusiasm for chemistry.
• The ability to motivate students to become independent learners and be a part of a community of learners.
• The ability to guide and develop students' critical thinking.
• Ability to communicate articulately and effectively with individuals of diverse age, gender, ethnicity, educational and economic backgrounds.
• A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• A cover letter, not to exceed two (2) pages, detailing: (a) your qualifications, skills, and abilities as they relate to the preferred qualifications, (b) any additional qualifications you feel the committee should consider.
• A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training, and (3) please explain clearly the relevant coursework, work experience and/or research experience that would enable you to successfully teach lecture and laboratory courses in a wide range of undergraduate chemistry classes, particularly introductory and general chemistry.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates who are invited to interview must submit transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain and submit transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense.
Please note that candidates selected for in-person interview will be required to do a teaching demonstration.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience. NOTE: The salary advertised with this position is based on the 2017-2018 salary schedule. Effective July 1,2018 through June 30, 2019, the position will receive an additional temporary 5% increase. On July 1, 2019 salaries will revert to the 2017-2018 salary schedule unless another agreement is reached.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2019
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1420756
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.