Senior Process Safety Chemist
Summary of Position:
The Senior Process Safety Chemist plans tests of chemicals; conducts standardized and custom tests; interprets and verifies data; and prepares test reports for clients. A Senior level Process Safety Chemist must be able to provide clients interpretation and guidance regarding test results. A Senior Process Safety Chemist is expected to maintain and cultivate client relationships to further expand current projects and provide additional services for the future.
- Perform various laboratory tests of various chemicals utilizing the Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Accelerating Rate Calorimetry (ARC), Reaction Calorimetry and Carius Tube equipment
- Serve as a safety role model; promote a high level of safety awareness and continuous improvement in safety practices
- Design custom tests, estimate cost for test, and prepare quote for client
- Maintain and repair lab equipment
- Provide interpretation and guidance to clients regarding test results
- Prepare reports containing results for clients
- Maintain up to date documentation on all tests
- Practice peer review of reports for content and accuracy
- Participation in the ISO accreditation and equipment maintenance as needed
- Maintain clean work area
- Adhere to company’s policies and procedures
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum a Master’s degree in science or Chemical Engineering, Doctorate degree preferred
- Knowledge of ASTM and SOP methods
- Minimum ten years’ experience with DSC, ARC, Reaction Calorimetry and Carius Tube testing
- Hands-on experience with organic synthesis and expert knowledge of organic chemistry
- Expert knowledge of setting-up and operating GC and GC-MS equipment.
- Excellent mechanical skills, experience with high pressure equipment, including Swagelok
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair lab-scale high-pressure equipment.
- Ability to assist in calibration of testing equipment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Individual must be able to work in a team environment and independently
- Full range of motion and ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Extended periods of computer-based work
- Extended periods of standing
- Occasional travel (less than 10%)