Senior Research Chemist
NCASI Job Posting
Position: Senior Research Chemist
Reports to: Principal Research Scientist & Analytical Lab Manager
Work Week: Exempt, full-time
Revised: March 22, 2019
Job Location: NCASI Southern Regional Center, Newberry, FL
The National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Inc. (NCASI) is a non-profit research organization focusing on environmental issues of interest to the Forest Products Industry. NCASI is seeking a career-minded individual willing to take on increasing levels of responsibility to fill the Senior Research Chemist position at its Southern Regional Center in Newberry, Florida.
Essential Job Functions
- Plan and execute investigative studies in that involve characterization using established analytical methods, method evaluations and/or new method development.
- Perform laboratory analyses involving complex procedures, methods, and instrumentation in a manner consistent with established QA/QC procedures.
- Manage laboratory workflows, assist Lab Manager in assessing capacity utilization, and work with project managers on project prioritization.
- Accomplish data reduction activities, prepare technical summaries and develop project reports and/or original technical reports.
- Provide technical assistance to NCASI member companies and industry organizations and prepare written communications that meet the highest standards of quality.
- Present scientifically sound technical information and research findings at NCASI Regional Meetings, webcasts and other technical meetings.
- Maintain knowledge of current issues, technical advances, and sampling / analytical technologies through review of current literature, participation in appropriate professional society conferences, and communication with leading researchers and regulatory personnel.
- Manage relations with external advisory panels, as necessary.
- Maintain up-to-date SOPs for analytical instrument operation and laboratory general practices.
- Maintain the laboratory information management system, organize routine analytical results files and ensure compliance with NCASI’s records retention policy.
- Assist in maintenance and integrity of laboratory equipment.
- Demonstrate a commitment to safe practices in laboratory and field operations.
- Develop familiarity with the pulp and paper manufacturing process, or other activities of the forest products industry, as appropriate.
- Master’s degree in Analytical Chemistry or closely associated scientific discipline with 3-5 years professional and hands-on experience with Gas/Liquid Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry techniques.
- Strong data analysis and statistical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to read, absorb, process, and communicate complex information.
- Valid Driver License and a driving record insurable at standard rates.
- Must be able to get to and work from the Southern Regional Center.
- Must be able to follow all safety procedures, and wear safety equipment required at field sampling locations, including those dictated by the facility.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- PhD in Analytical or Organic Chemistry.
- Familiarity with forest products industry environmental issues.
- Familiarity with pulping and papermaking process operations.
Please forward resume, cover letter and list of references to Ms. Tracy Stubbs at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on April 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. NCASI is an equal opportunity employer.