Senior Research Engineer - Air Quality
National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Inc. (NCASI)
Position: Senior Research Engineer
Reports to: Program Manager – Air Quality
Supervises: Technical Support Staff, as needed
Work Week: Exempt position; Full-time
Location: NCASI Southern Regional Center, Newberry (Gainesville), FL.
Position also requires travel
National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Inc. (NCASI) is a non-profit research organization focusing on environmental issues of interest to the Forest Products Industry. NCASI is seeking a career-minded individual willing to take on increasing levels of responsibility to fill the Senior Research Engineer position in the Air Quality Program, based at the Southern Regional Center in Newberry, Florida.
Essential Job Functions:
The successful candidate will possess advanced knowledge of engineering principles around chemical manufacturing, chemical reaction engineering, and environmental science related to hazardous air pollutants (HAP), volatile organic compounds (VOC) and particulate matter (PM). One essential job function would be to utilize these skillsets in carrying out technical studies, developing information towards regulatory development and providing support to NCASI Members.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Plan and execute technical studies related to air emissions and assessing secondary (reactivity-based) impacts of pollutant emissions on ambient air.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of how emissions data and studies on environmental impacts are utilized in the development and implementation of air emission and ambient air quality standards.
- Understand the importance of variability and uncertainty and develop approaches to quantify and compensate for these in environmental decision-making.
- Accomplish data reduction/analysis, prepare technical summaries and develop project reports and/or original technical reports.
- Effectively communicate the results of technical studies at NCASI Regional Meetings, webcasts and other meetings involving scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Develop technical material, tools, and/or models that can be used by NCASI Members and regulatory agencies in managing environmental programs.
- Provide technical support to NCASI Member companies on wide-ranging technical, air emissions testing and regulatory compliance issues.
- Provide strategic and technical direction to NCASI, its Member companies (forest products and allied industries), and related trade associations. Work collaboratively as part of a team-based organizational structure. Read, absorb, and process complex technical information, with demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Masters or PhD in Chemical or Environmental Engineering, or related discipline, with five or more years of professional experience.
- Proven track record of working with inter-disciplinary and multi-stakeholder teams on technical projects.
- Strong data analysis and statistical skills.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record insurable at standard rates.
- Be based out of the Southern Regional Center in Newberry, FL.
- Must be able to follow all safety procedures, wear all required safety equipment at field sampling locations, and assist in moving sampling equipment.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Familiarity with pulp, paper, and wood products manufacturing processes and related environmental aspects.
- Familiarity with air permitting issues, Best Achievable Control Technology (BACT) determinations and National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) modeling and compliance strategies.
- In-depth knowledge of a broad variety of complex statistical procedures and techniques for interpreting existing data and forecasting conditions based on past data.
Applicants are requested to provide a résumé and cover letter to Dr. Zach Emerson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Résumé review will begin immediately, and position will remain open until filled. NCASI is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Apply for Senior Research Engineer - Air Quality
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly