Full Time Instructor - Biotechnology - Extended First Consideration Date 4/26/19
Full Time Instructor - Biotechnology - Extended First Consideration Date 4/26/19
Madison Area Technical College
Posting Date: 04/05/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Department: School of Applied Science, Engineering & Technology
The School of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology at Madison College is looking to hire a Full Time Instructor in Biotechnology. If you have a passion for sharing your expertise with others, apply now!
We are seeking motivated and engaged candidates who share a willingness to collaborate with other staff members, students, and the community at large. If you are looking to be a part of a dynamic, high-quality and collaborative team, apply now!
This position will be open until filled, with a first review date of April 26, 2019 (This has been extended from the original date of March 21, 2019) at 12:00 pm. After this date, the recruitment may close without further notice. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Madison College provides a generous benefits package of vacation, holidays, health/vision/dental/life insurance options, and you will be able to participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS ). Newly hired instructors serve a three-year probationary period.
Organizational Function and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for instruction in biotechnology at the college transfer and occupational levels. This includes developing a relevant and progressive curriculum, designing and implementing effective learning strategies and environments, delivering instruction of high quality, assessing student learning, advising students, and participating in college service activities at the department, division and college levels.
This position reports to the Dean of the School of Applied Science, Engineering and Technology.
The following duties are typically expected of this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Instruct students in the Biotechnology Laboratory Technician Program including but not limited to the following courses: Biotechnology Applications, Cell Culturing, Applied Microbiology, Basic Laboratory Skills for a Regulated Workplace, Molecular Biology I, Research Methods for Molecular Biology, Protein Bioseparations, Chromatography, Stem Cell Technologies, Bioprocess Technology, Applied Biochemistry.
2. Develop and plan appropriate instructional strategies and alternative delivery strategies when appropriate including but not limited to hybrid, face-to-face and on-line course delivery.
3. Assist and advise students who have problems with assignments, tests, grades, course content, career concerns, and other academic matters.
4. Assist and advise students who have problems with assignments, tests, grades, course content, career concerns, and other academic matters.
5. Actively work with other faculty, College staff and industry representatives in student recruitment, retention and job placement. This includes developing strategies aimed at the recruitment and retention of minority students.
6. Develop and maintain curriculum, including new courses and laboratory exercises and laboratory manuals, in a variety of traditional and non-traditional formats to meet student needs in collaboration with department staff, particularly in the areas of bioprocessing and applied microbiology; participate in instructional and curriculum articulation activities with other programs and divisions of instruction within the College and with other institutions of higher education.
7. Function without direct supervision in a team environment with the ability to support a cohesive department atmosphere.
8. Collaborate with other areas of the College to support program initiatives in various academic, administrative and cross-disciplinary committees and projects.
9. Comply with college policies and directions regarding student testing, record keeping, advanced standing, providing grades on a timely basis, maintaining office hours for student assistance and counseling, etc.
10. Assist students in developing work experience assignments such as internships, work study assignments, team projects, etc.
11. Attend center, program and advisory committee meetings; participate in appropriate staff development activities such as diversity awareness, technology training, etc.
12. Maintain certification as an instructor with the Wisconsin Technical College System.
13. Comply with all aspects of Board policies, work rules, and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
14. Demonstrate a commitment to the college values of excellence, respect, commitment to students and diverse communities and making higher education available to all.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Teaching diverse (ethnically, culturally, age and other) students at the post-secondary level.
2. Scientific background and experience sufficient to teach core associate degree courses in the Biotechnology Laboratory Technician Program as well as courses in the Intensive Post Baccalaureate Biotechnology Certificate program.
3. Industry experience or experience with quality systems or prior employment in a regulated environment; practical experience with fermentation / bioprocess technology preferred.
4. Sufficient research experience to guide post-baccalaureate certificate students in developing and carrying out independent projects in molecular biology, cell culture and related fields and to create independent project curriculum for other program courses.
5. Sufficient project management experience to direct aspects of the Biotechnology Laboratory Technician Program including, but not limited to, direction of certificate programs, budgeting aspects of curriculum, program advising. Duties will be assigned once sufficient knowledge and experience has been gained in program function and instruction.
6. Experience working with community partners; e.g. youth organizations, high school counselors and teachers, to promote STEM education.
7. Experience in grant writing and management in order to obtain support for new curriculum or community and industry initiatives.
8. Experience writing curriculum and assessments, both lecture- and laboratory/competency-based, to support instruction in emerging biotechnology areas.
9. Experience in developing expertise in emerging technologies for curriculum development and teaching in Biotechnology Laboratory Technician Program courses.
10. Experience developing collaborations with local industry in order to ensure the ongoing relevance of all program curriculua and to ensure industry support of internships and job placement of students at all levels.
11. Experience working with underrepresented populations and international students. Demonstrated respect for populations of different ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
12. Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Experience working with Learning Management Systems such as Blackboard. Experience working with instrumentation controlled through computer-interface.
1. Master’s degree in a bioscience field (Genetics, Biochemistry, Chemical/biological engineering, Pharmaceutical chemistry, Molecular Biology etc). Ph.D. preferred.
2. Two (2) years (4,000) hours of related work experience in a biotechnology laboratory setting.
3. State certified or eligible for state certification by the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS ) to teach at the College level.
If you are experiencing application issues please contact the HR hotline, (608) 246-6900.
Madison Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Rosemary Buschhaus, J.D., SPHR , SHRM -SCP
Director of Employment and Employee Relations
1701 Wright St
Madison, WI 53704
Position Type: Faculty
Posting Number: 20160603203
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1433532
Madison Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.