Senior R&D Scientist
Leads the research and/or design and development of new Life Science Products and diagnostic assays. The successful candidate will possess knowledge of current concepts, methods, and procedures in the disciplines of molecular biology, biochemistry and immunology. This position is primarily a hands-on laboratory-based position and will support Company goals of new product discovery, development, and scale-up to production department.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop the nature and general plan for research projects in new product development.
- Manage complex projects, assist in strategic project development and implementation
- Supervise research assistants and assist/advise with problems that they can’t resolve on their own
- Present data/conclusions to management and when appropriate, to colleagues in the scientific field via conferences and trade show.
- Assist with general scientific training and new product training of MP Bio personnel as needed
- Direct initial patent applications of novel ideas
- Collaborate with other MP Bio facilities globally, outside customer collaborators and research partners
- Implement and supervise projects utilizing scientific knowledge in nucleic acid isolation, sample preparation, amplification, detection and genetic analysis
- Beta testing new products with customers
- Writing IFU, product protocols
- Support and supervise general laboratory maintenance, including materials inventory and instrument upkeep, and maintaining a laboratory notebook or systems documentation
Preferred Education & Experience
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biomolecular Engineering, Life Science, or related field with at least 3 years of applicable industry experience.
- Experience in new product development.
- Knowledge of general lab both instruments and reagent chemistry is required
- Knowledge in instrumentation development a plus
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications
- Analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, without supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to exchange complex information and ability to influence peers, superiors, and partners
- Domestic and international travel necessary