Scientist - Analytical
Essential Job Functions:
- Serves as an investigator who plans, designs, and conducts experiments and associated research, development and applications activities directed toward identified business opportunities.
- Records experimental observations in a laboratory notebook kept in a sufficient manner to protect Kalsec’s intellectual property rights.
- Prepares detailed reports, with minimal supervisor review, that describe research efforts, and when appropriate, presents research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec staff and/or other groups.
- Is aware of the company’s Q.A. policy and objectives, strictly observing these policy provisions in the fulfillment of this job.
Specific Job Functions:
- Identify, recommend, and justify new analytical technologies to improve R&D or quality assurance capabilities.
- Plan/design necessary experiments for new analytical method testing and validation.
- Develop and validate new analytical methods and run assays for designated R&D or quality and process improvement projects.
- Write/revise analytical methods (QC, R&D) as requested for approval by designated authority.
- Develop and update MS (mass spectrometry) or MS/MS methods to support R&D projects from within the organization.
- Recommend and develop the most adequate MS or MS/MS solutions for novel research projects.
- Share mass spectrometric expertise by training other members of the Analytical team on MS and MS/MS techniques, including instrumentation and software.
- When applicable, write instrument purchase proposal to justify new mass spectrometric purchase to help develop MS expertise within Analytical.
- Assist other laboratory staff in R&D and QC analytical methods. To teach new methods to designated laboratory staff.
- Maintain and service designated analytical equipment. To obtain assistance or request a service call from instrument service representative when appropriate.
- May lead departmental projects with responsibility for reviewing and organizing project results and inputs from others on team.
- Mentor other scientists and technicians in experimental techniques and data validation.
- Support Research and Development experiments with input from supervisor and project leaders.
- Review own results and prepare finished reports for distribution or supervisor approval.
- Independently search, review and apply methods from scientific literature.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- M.S. or equivalent experience
- At least 3-5 years working experience with mass spectrometric techniques
- At least 3-5 years working experience with liquid chromatographic techniques, e.g., HPLC and/or UPLC
- Demonstrated writing skills
- Experience with MassLynx and UNIFI
- Presentation proficiencey
- Working knowledge of gas chromatography
- NMR profiency