Associate Research Scientist or Research Scientist (NMR Manager)
As the main NMR facility manager and researcher, the person in this position will be responsible for the proper care of approximately 11 NMR spectrometers distributed throughout the School of Pharmacy and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The position will also involve creating, advising and assisting in the execution of NMR experiments according to users’ needs along with training students and researchers who will need NMR as a technology for their sciences.
- Training new users in proper use of NMR equipment according to best practices for obtaining good quality data. Make certain that the needs of all NMR users are fulfilled by direct consultation with them.
- Assist and advise NMR Facility users, who execute their experiments, in the operation of the facility instruments with respect to software, hardware and experimental protocol.
- Advise users on Facility resources on data processing and archiving.
- Perform software, electronics and mechanic hardware troubleshoot. Perform reparation in case of need.
- Make probe and other equipment changes for specific experiment methods and ensure their performance.
- Advise on specifications for upgrading or purchasing of new instrumentation. Assist with installation of new equipment. Be involved with the management of the fund account destined to the NMR Facility.
- Service and maintenance of computers used in the workstations.
- Ensure the proper cryogens fill for the magnets.
Competencies: Interactive communication, teamwork, analytical thinking, ability to manage multiple responsibilities, theoretical and practical NMR background.
Technical knowledge or skills: Previous expertise in the exploration of NMR techniques will be used for ranking the applicants. The theoretical and practical experience in NMR spectroscopy of the applicants to be evaluated by the search committee may include minimal or advanced knowledge in NMR pulse sequence programming, data acquisition and processing, (radio-frequency) calibration and theory, NMR hardware diagnostics, computer hardware and software diagnostic. Proficiency in various computer systems and platforms can also be evaluated.
Education: PhD in the Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy or a related field is required.
Experience: Applicants applying to the rank of Research Scientist, must have 3 years of experience using or maintaining NMR spectrometers. Previous NMR-related specific advanced training and/or work experience in multiuser NMR facility will be used by the search committee to rank the applicants.
Applications must be submitted through the University of Mississippi's employment site at https://careers.olemiss.edu/ Applicants should attach a resume and cover letter under Resume/CV section of the application.
The committee also requests that applicants send three support letters to the chair of the Search committee: email@example.com.
The University of Mississippi complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.