Run the day to day operations of the Water treatment lab, ensuring all Minnesota Department of Health compliance monitoring, reporting and water quality regulations are met.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all Minnesota Department of Health compliance monitoring, reporting and water quality regulations are met.
- Update, revise, and maintain the Laboratory's Quality Assurance Manual, Standard Operating Procedures, and other quality control documents.
- Ensure maintenance of the Minnesota Environmental Lab certification.
- Ensure National Pollution Discharge Elimination Discharge permit compliance.
- Perform internal audits of the Laboratory, including both technical and quality systems audits.
- Perform audits of laboratory practices by Water Treatment Operators.
- Perform and document corrective action, including follow-up monitoring to determine the effectiveness of the corrective action.
- Provide development, training and performance management of staff.
- Establish performance standards for how and when work is completed and ensure compliance with standards with employees in the laboratory and the water treatment operators.
- Uphold high professionalism and ethics of laboratory standards.
- Engage in performance conversations and complete performance appraisals with employees in the assigned division/work area.
- Assess the development needs of direct reports and ensure that those needs are addressed.
- Ensure training materials and standard operating procedures are kept up to date.
- Generate and/or review analytical reports.
- Administer outside service contracts.
- Order lab supplies.
- Oversee employee Right-To-Know training.
- Contact lab customers (Divisional staff, customers).
- Maintain chemical/equipment traceability records.
- Manage instrument and equipment service agreements, oversee preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Manage lab research activities in support of collaborative projects with outside consultants and university researchers.
- Conduct and oversee internal research projects for the improvement of water treatment process performance and water quality: develop experimental plans, document and provide necessary resources, manage progress, review reports, present results to stakeholders.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry or equivalent
6 years of progressively responsible experience working in a water or wastewater treatment facility performing plant operations and/or laboratory, including two years in a supervisory role.
Licenses / Certifications:
- Must possess and continue to maintain a valid Driver's License.
- Must obtain a Minnesota Class A Water Supply Operator Certificate in accordance with the schedule and qualifications established by the Minnesota Department of Health.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website at : www.minneapolismn.gov/jobs