RESEARCH SPECIALIST D
Reference Number: 40-31578
Posted Job Title: RESEARCH SPECIALIST D
School Name: Perelman School of Medicine
Posted Job/Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Position Type: Full Time
Position Schedule: 8-5
Position Length: Contingent Upon Funding
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
This position has several primary functions and/or responsibilities:
1) Responsible for developing and validating analysis methods to support the development of new radiopharmaceuticals that meets the FDA and USP regulations.
2) Initiate investigation in problems associated with analytical systems and other QC testing. Identify and troubleshoot issues. Resolve the issues independently or within a group following the FDA and USP regulations.
3) QC test to support early phase clinical and pre-clinical studies; As the radiotracers used in the early phase of clinical trial, there may be variations in analysis results. Extensive analytical chemistry experience is required to make correct judgement.
4) Production of radiotracers for clinical studies; The production of radiotracer is complicated and required experience and quick thinking on the spot due to the short half-life.
5) Author research report as part of manuscript preparation, grant application and other technical document.
A Master’s Degree and 3 years to 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Ability to work independently as well as in a team. A thorough understanding of analytical equipment, such as HPLC, GC and radioTLC, are needed. The understanding of different aspects of cyclotron facility operation as well as GMP principle is preferred. Prior experience in similar setting is strongly desired.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.