Professor of Biophysical Chemistry
6 days left
- Job Type
The Department of Science and Environment at Roskilde University invites applications for a position as a full professor in experimental biophysical chemistry with appointment January 2020, or soon thereafter.
As one of four departments at Roskilde University the Department of Science and Environment conducts basic and applied research within chemistry, medical biology, molecular biology, environmental sciences, physics and mathematics. Bachelor, Master and PhD programs are offered within these areas.
The position is open to applicants with research expertise in experimental biophysical chemistry, and the new professor is expected to establish a leading research group under the overall theme of Chemistry of biological systems. The department is particularly interested in research themes that will complement ongoing activities in the chemistry group and/or establish strong collaborations with the department’s other research programs, especially in molecular, medical and environmental biology. Details about these programs may be found on the university homepage. Present research themes of our research group include characterization of enzymes, natural products and bioactive compounds, sustainable reaction pathways in organic synthesis, solar cell chemistry, drug stability and delivery, monitoring xenobiotica and the structures of biomacromolecules in solutions and gels.
Based in a new building equipped with modern infrastructure, our researchers work with state-of-the-art instrumentation and analytical facilities, such as NMR, HPLC, MS, ITC and DSC calorimeters, rheometers, and fluorescence confocal microscopy (https://ruc.dk/en/research-department-science-and-environment).
The Department of Science and Environment has a strategic aim to increase external collaboration with private and public companies and we therefore invite candidates both with a university record of accomplishment and/or an industrial research background to apply for the position.
In considering applications for the professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant‘s ability to document a high level of original scientific production at an international level within his or her research area. The professor must have strong leadership competences and be interested in leading a research group.
Read more at (https://ruc.dk/en/department-science-and-environment).
Responsibilities and tasks
The professor’s main tasks are to undertake research at the highest international level and show a strong commitment to teaching in the chemistry study program. Roskilde University has strategic focus on student recruitment, industrial collaboration and interdisciplinary science, and the professor must be willing to support this strategy with the urge to develop new collaboration platforms. The professor will teach in an interdisciplinary environment and engage in problem-oriented project work with extensive student involvement and responsibility.
The professor is expected to maintain a significant record of publications, to inspire research achievement and to build a research culture within the research group. You will also be expected to secure external research funding, and engage in research networks. You will be required to teach, supervise and assess students at BSc and MSc levels as well as PhD students. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching. As professor you will be required to participate in post-doctoral training and be responsible for the supervision of assistant professors as well as take part in academic assessments. The position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debates.
Finally, you will be expected to contribute to management and leadership through engagement in the Department.
The ideal candidate is expected to
- have a high level of original scientific production at an international level within his or her research area
- have strong leadership competences and be interested in leading a research group and participate in mentoring duties
- show a strong commitment to teaching, be able to teach subjects central to the chemistry curriculum and to develop the chemistry curriculum
- have experience with education in relation to student involvement, projects, multidisciplinary work etc.
- have a strong research network internationally
- participate in knowledge sharing with the community
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within chemistry and subsequent teaching qualifications and formal training equivalent to those of an associate professor. Qualifications within the following scientific areas are required:
- Documented scientific qualifications at high international level within experimental biophysical chemistry
- Documented experience with the use of experimental physico-chemical techniques to investigate structure and properties of biomolecules or biological systems
- Documented scientific qualifications such as an associate professor equivalent in relation to teaching within chemistry
- Documented track record in securing external research funding
The ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills and be a visible, involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment of the candidate consideration will be given to;
- original scientific production at an international level in relation to experimental biophysical chemistry
- development of the academic field as described in the applicants plan (max 3 pages)
- leadership qualifications for development of research and teaching,
- experience in teaching and education as described in the teaching portfolio
- ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation,
- proven experience in securing external research funding
- excellent written and oral English fluency
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department Susanne Sørensen by phone: +45 6195 1144 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Head of the Chemistry Group Søren Hvidt by phone: +45 4674 2477 or e-mail: email@example.com
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week, and you will refer to Head of Department Susanne Sørensen.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Commencing salary will be minimum DKK 621.105,04 per year (1st april 2018 level) plus pension contribution (17,1 %).
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessmentThe shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter including a brief description of how the applicant expects to establish a research group and to contribute to the department’s research and teaching.
- CV including brief introduction to main results and documentation of external funding 3. Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 7 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
- If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
- Plan for development of the academic field (max 3 pages) 8. Documentation of additional research qualifications, including
- experience in research management or other managerial functions
- track record in fundraising
Please submit your application no later than 31. August, 2019.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.