Environmental Safety Technology Lead
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About this Job:
The Environmental Safety Technology Lead will be a key member of a new group being established to provide early insights to projects inventing new active ingredients (ais), enabling selection and design of compounds with optimized properties to meet society’s needs.
The key areas of focus for the ES Technical Lead will be understanding the metabolism and properties of ais in soil, and predicting toxicology in environmental organisms. The successful applicant will have a background in an area relevant to answering these questions and/or in bringing different technologies together to tackle challenges in a new way.
We are looking for a motivational leader to scout, priorities, develop and implement new technologies and capabilities. You will need to be able to influence and drive change in the organization to develop these capabilities and embed the outputs in our delivery platforms.
Existing awareness of the current/future global/regional regulatory challenges for new active ingredients would be beneficial.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with other members of the Syngenta CP research community (including other groups within Product Safety, Computational Chemistry and Bioscience) to ensure we have the right Environmental Safety predictive science capability and capacity
- Monitor and anticipate technical developments in predictive science and evaluate the potential utility in Early Stage projects (incl. chemical design-related)
- Agree and align priorities across Human Safety and Environmental Safety in predictive science technology development
- Working with the Early Stage Group Lead, ensure correct balance of people’s time for Stage 1 support versus other activities
- Support stage 1 ai project delivery by giving input to Product Safety Environmental Safety science plans, to answer key questions appropriately and being jointly responsible for project decisions
- Ensure the right capabilities are available through appropriate development and recruitment of people in Product Safety early stage research
- Develop and embed research mind set for addressing early stage research challenges (e.g., PhDs, post-docs or equivalent science research experience
Education & Experience:
- PhD level (biology, chemistry, genetics, pharmacology, mathematics, chemistry, computer science) or equivalent industrial experience
- English is the working language, other languages are desirable
- Comprehensive industry / business knowledge
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts your first day
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.