Chemical Prior Art Searcher
Come join our long-standing contract for an exciting career in Chemical Patent Searching!
ASRC Federal provides comprehensive IT, Science & Engineering, and Management & Professional Services to Federal Government agencies. The company has grown rapidly based on our reputation for equipping customers with top-notch professionals and delivering proven solutions. Our mission is to provide our customers with a wide variety of professional, technical and administrative services in a cost-effective, efficient, and flexible manner.
ASRC Federal is seeking a Chemical Prior Art Searcher to join our growing contract in Alexandria, VA.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Performs detailed chemical technology-related literature searching in various online databases.
- Analyzes search requests in the areas of both chemical and materials engineering including polymers, and organic and inorganic chemistry to determine requirements and strategy, and develops and modifies complex search strategies to conduct searches of electronic resources.
- Uses independent judgment in selecting from a wide variety of electronic databases.
- Fluently uses search tools offered by a number of vendors as well as in-house systems to develop complex search strategies and conduct the searches.
- Reviews and prepares search results for customer in specified formats.
- Prepares and delivers oral and written presentations and training to patent examiners and special groups concerning the services of the information center and the use of information sources and search tools.
- Acts as a backup for reference staff in provision of reference assistance.
- Participates in training activities.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.) in Chemistry.
- Four years' experience in Patent Searching.
- Expert in complex searching of scientific and technical literature using one or more major on-line commercial vendors (STN, SciFinder).
- Expert in searching Chemical Abstracts and strong preference for STN experience drawing chemical structures. (Strong background using other structure drawing tools such as SciFinder will be considered)
- Background and/or research experience in organic and inorganic chemistry, materials engineering, polymers, and chemical engineering desirable.
- Knowledge of the U.S. patent system, examining procedures, and U.S. as well as foreign patent formats preferred.
- Experience conducting Prior Art searches strongly preferred.
- Must possess both excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a demanding, production-oriented environment.
- Training experience is a plus.