Assistant Professor - Biochemistry
Biochemistry – Tenure-track Position
The Chemistry Department at St. Olaf College seeks to hire a tenure-track biochemist starting August 15, 2020. We encourage applicants with research interests in, but not limited to, neurochemistry, toxicology, medicinal chemistry or chemical biology.
In addition to upper-level biochemistry, candidates interested in contributing to the first-year chemistry and or introductory chemistry/biology curriculum, are especially welcomed. Candidates must communicate their commitment to liberal arts education and must explicitly describe how their proposed scholarly activity will establish a vibrant laboratory research program involving undergraduates. We are particularly interested in applicants who will contribute to the department’s commitment to increasing access and opportunities for populations of students that are currently underrepresented in the sciences. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in a relevant field or expect completion of such prior to employment.
All applicants must submit application materials on the St. Olaf College Human Resources website at http://stolaf.hiretouch.com/faculty-postings. A complete application includes:
- a cover letter outlining your qualifications and why you are interested in this particular position,
- a current curriculum vitae,
- unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts,
- a detailed description of research interests and plans (approximately 3-5 pages plus references) emphasizing the suitability of the research for undergraduate researchers and potential funding opportunities,
- a statement of teaching philosophy which includes your goals, ideas about pedagogical approaches, and reflection on experience you have had (about 2 pages),
- a list of courses you feel qualified to teach (either based on courses currently listed at http://stolaf.edu/catalog/academicprogram/chemistry.html, or courses that the applicant could envision teaching but are not currently being taught at St. Olaf) and a discussion of how your courses would shape and sustain a Chemistry curriculum that reflects the current and growing diversity of St. Olaf’s student body.
- the names and email contact information for three professional references, at least one who can speak to your abilities in classroom and laboratory teaching.
After the initial round of screening, an email request for a letter of recommendation with a link to upload the letter will be sent to the persons you have indicated. You may wish to contact your letter writers personally to advise them that the request will be arriving shortly and a timely response would be appreciated.
We will begin reviewing applications on September 16, 2019 with on campus interviews scheduled for November 18-26, 2019.
Questions can be directed to:
Greg Muth, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Chair, Search Committee
Founded in 1874, St. Olaf College is a residential, coeducational liberal arts college with approximately 3,000 students and 800 faculty and staff employees. It is located in Northfield, Minnesota, about 45 minutes from Minneapolis and St. Paul with their rich and diverse cultural resources. The college offers an academically rigorous, nationally ranked liberal arts education that fosters the development of the whole person in mind, body, and spirit and emphasizes a global perspective.
To provide a safe and secure educational environment, St. Olaf College verifies the accuracy of all credentials presented by applicants and conducts a criminal background check on every new hire.
St. Olaf College is an equal employment opportunity and voluntary affirmative action employer. The College is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community. With regard to its hiring and employment practices, the College prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based upon an individual’s legally protected status including race, color, creed, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, marital status, veteran status, or status with regard to public assistance.