R&D Staff Member - Computation of Polymer Applications
Overview: We are seeking a R&D Staff Member to use and develop high-performance computational techniques and data analysis tools to design new polymeric materials and composites with superior properties. This position resides in the Carbon and Composites Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The Carbon and Composites Group advances the science and technology base for manufacturing of polymeric materials, carbon precursors and composites by conducting innovative research and development for a broad spectrum of programs. In this role, the new staff member will manage and perform computational research, in collaboration with experimental researchers, for designing new polymeric materials and their multifunctional composites with superior properties for a variety of applications. Researchers will closely collaborate with a diverse group of experimentalists in the group, division and with the scientists from the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences and Spallation Neutron Source.
Ideal candidates will have extensive experience in application of high-performance computing and data science to problems in applied polymer science and a proven record of R&D success.
- Develop computational approaches and understanding that tie closely with the ongoing research and development of multiphase polymers and their fiber-reinforced composites.
- Conduct analysis of x-ray and neutron scattering data, mechanical properties and phase morphology of materials
- Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity
- Interact regularly with senior scientists, program managers, group members, and industrial partners, and prepare and present periodic reports documenting research and development.
- Publish papers in key journals and protect intellectual property
- Work with team members on the development of new ideas and proposal for future funding
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computational Science, or an equivalent field.
- A minimum of 5 years of research experience
- A record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or presentations at scientific conferences
- Experience in state-of-the-art high-performance computational techniques involving appropriate programming languages (Fortran, C/C++, Python, etc.)
- Skilled with MD simulation packages such as LAMMPS, NAMD, etc. and strong background in data analysis using Matlab, VMD or other similar software.
- Ability to contribute and eventually lead new research proposals and research directions.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with researchers inside and outside of ORNL
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to an international scientific audience
- Motivated and results oriented
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task and adapt to ever changing needs with the proven ability to function well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and participate creatively in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and to independently set priorities to accomplish tasks to meet deadlines
Three letters of reference are required and can be emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position and your name in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.