Neutron Instrument Scientist - Liquids Reflectometer
- Job Type
- Full time
The Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) within the Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) and the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) are jointly seeking a neutron instrument scientist for the Liquids Reflectometer (BL-4B) at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS). The Liquids Reflectometer measures specular and off specular neutron reflectivity in a horizontal sample geometry from solid surfaces, tilted solid/liquid interfaces, and free liquid surfaces, supporting a diverse science community in physical, chemical, and materials sciences. More details about the instrument and its science impact can be found at https://neutrons.ornl.gov/lr.
As a joint appointment between CNMS and NScD, you will develop a leading nanoscience program focused on neutron scattering. You will champion developments in instrumentation, sample environments, as well as software to help maintain and further develop the performance of the instruments and expand the user base, especially in nanoscience. Your own research will tie closely to the scientific activities within CNMS. A key component of your role is to ensure safe operation and user support of the liquids reflectometer beamline, which includes user assistance as local contact, helping with experimental setup, data acquisition and data analysis. You will have the opportunity to work with users on a wide range of science topics covered by the instrument.
Major Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Pursue a high-quality personal research program in nanoscience using neutron reflectometry, build national and international collaborations, and publish research results in scientific journals.
- Assist users as a local contact for experimental setup, data acquisition, user education as appropriate and will ensure users are provided with analyzable data.
- Attract users from new areas of research, especially in nanoscience, and related to the topics of your own research efforts. You will champion developments in instrumentation, sample environment, and software to help maintain and further develop the performance of the Liquids Reflectometer.
- Assume the custodianship of the horizontal surface X-ray reflectometer.
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.
- A Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or a related field
- A minimum of five years of relevant research experience
- Experience with neutron and/or X-ray scattering techniques
- Previous beamline support experience in a neutron or synchrotron x-ray user facility
- Experience in nanoscience, including soft matter research
- Demonstrated ability to work with other technical and scientific support groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other research scientists from both academia and/or industry.
- Experience in developing software or scripts related to data reduction and/or analysis.
- Experience in developing novel sample environments for soft matter and/or reflectometry.
- A strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. If you are selected for interview, you will be required to submit a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.