Tenure-track Faculty Positions at NUS Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
Join a Top-10 Chemical Engineering Department
The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the National University of Singapore (NUS) has featured consistently amongst the top ten in the world in a variety of international rankings. The Department addresses a mix of the classical and the modern aspects of chemical and biomolecular engineering, at all scales ranging from the molecular to the macroscopic to the global. Our outstanding faculty at all ranks have made strong contributions in both pure and applied research, winning numerous top national and international awards and recognitions, and attracting large amounts of research funds from both government and industry.
Currently, the Department comprises clusters of leading research groups in the general areas of catalysis & reaction engineering, fundamental and applied (nano)materials science, biotechnology and cellular engineering, membrane science, process systems engineering, and separation technology, with a good mix of theoretical and experimental foci. Singapore is one of the world’s leading chemical, pharmaceutical, and semiconductor hubs. It has a vibrant research and entrepreneurship ecosystem with an intense focus on research translation for the societal and economic benefits for the country and region. The Department continues to play a pivotal role in developing the R&D infrastructure for Singapore’s dynamic manufacturing and knowledge-based economy. In addition to cutting edge research, The Department is committed to excellence in education. It has a tradition of attracting the best and brightest students in Singapore amongst the science and engineering disciplines. Our students find careers in the petroleum, petrochemical, semiconductor, pharmaceutical, food, consumer products and healthcare industries, which contribute to more than 25 per cent of the country’s GDP. Some of our graduates are faculty in countries around the world.
We seek exceptional tenure-track faculty candidates at all levels in the following areas:
The Department continues to have a strong focus on research in catalysis and reaction engineering that creates innovative solutions to global energy and environmental challenges, such as the conversion of CO2into fuels and value-added chemicals (under the NUS Flagship Green Energy Program). There is already a vibrant catalysis community at NUS, and successful candidates will be expected to establish strategic collaborations across Departments and Faculties at NUS and beyond.
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
Recent advances in machine learning, driven by the rapid progress in deep neural networks, have opened new, paradigm-shifting possibilities in chemical engineering – from the discovery of new molecules, materials and formulations to the operation of autonomous chemical manufacturing processes. Candidates are invited across the entire spectrum in this area, from the frontiers of algorithm development to their applications in chemical and biomolecular engineering.
- Chemical Engineering Sciences
The classical (core) chemical engineering sciences, such as separations, transport phenomena, and process systems engineering, essential to the manufacturing industry continue to evolve rapidly. Candidates with interest, background, and novel research in these broad areas are invited. Successful candidates will be expected to establish synergistic links to major Departmental strategic thrusts, including catalysis, materials, and chemical product design.
- Chemical Product Design – Advanced Materials and Formulations
A majority of consumer and pharmaceutical drug products are complex materials made from several molecular ingredients structured beyond the molecular scale. Candidates with an interest in the design and development of chemical products and/or soft materials/formulations ranging from pharmaceutical dose forms to novel materials for chemical and biomolecular separations, are invited. Candidates with prior experience in impactful translational research in product design are encouraged.
- Decarbonisation and Sustainable Development
Singapore is strongly committed to carbon mitigation and has a national secretariat for addressing climate change. Candidates with research thrusts that address these areas, while looking through the broader lenses of future energy systems, sustainability, lifecycle and techno-economic analyses, supply chain considerations, etc. are invited.
The successful candidate must have an earned doctorate in Chemical Engineering and/or Biomolecular Engineering or an allied field, with credentials suitable for appointments at all levels of Full Professor, Associate Professor, or Assistant Professor.
We invite you to explore https://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/chbe/ and https://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/ to learn more about us and see how you could become a part of our vibrant and diverse community. Some exciting facts about us and Singapore are as follows:
- We are consistently rated in the top-10 internationally by the QS World University Chemical Engineering Ranking (analogous to the annual US News & World Reports ratings of US universities).
- Our department is one of the largest internationally, with more than 40 faculty members and about 100 additional research staff.
- It provides an exciting environment for cutting-edge research with an excellent in-house research infrastructure for experimental and computational work.
- Our successful and high-profile international partnerships include collaborative graduate degree and research programs with top institutions in the world.
- Our undergraduate program with 1,200 students is accredited by Engineering Accreditation Board (EAB). In addition, Singapore is a member of the Washington Accord, and our undergraduate degrees enjoy cross-border accreditation by the member countries.
- The chemical sector is the second largest contributor to Singapore’s manufacturing output. The Department has played and continues to play a pivotal role in developing the research and technology infrastructure for Singapore’s and the region’s dynamic manufacturing and knowledge-based economy.
- Singapore is an international, cross-cultural city-state with a western-style living environment in a culturally vibrant eastern setting. Singapore is truly a gateway to the East, a region rapidly growing in economic, political and cultural influence. You can find more information on Singapore at http://www.contactsingapore.sg/.
- In addition to its excellent public schools, Singapore hosts many international schools (e.g., American, Canadian, UK, Japan, etc.) providing quality education and learning environment.
Shortlisted candidates are invited to talk to our Search Committee at the AIChE Annual Meeting 2019 in Orlando. Please email a detailed CV with a full list of publications, statement (max. 3 pages) of teaching philosophy and methodology, statement of research interests and plans, statement (max. 3 pages) of major accomplishments in research, citing up to five significant publications and explaining their significance, contact details of at least three external referees, and the NUS Personal Data Consent for Job Applicants by October 31 to:
Chair of Search Committee
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
National University of Singapore
Apply for Tenure-track Faculty Positions at NUS Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Analytical Teaching-Undergraduate Full time jobs in Singapore
- Biochemical Teaching-Undergraduate Full time jobs in Singapore
- Biological Teaching-Undergraduate Full time jobs in Singapore
- Catalysts Teaching-Undergraduate Full time jobs in Singapore
- Computers / Computational / Informatics Teaching-Undergraduate Full time jobs in Singapore