Senior Scientist - Antioxidants
Job Summary: To conduct independent applied research leading to the development of new product, processes and intellectual property by conducting research directed at antioxidant innovation targets.
Specific Job Functions:
1. Use expertise in chemistry to leverage identification, isolation and purification of new natural antioxidant products.
2. Development of new antioxidant products by working with customers, product director, and process development teams.
3. Application of extraction techniques for downstream processing to provide new value-added products and product forms.
4. Testing of lipid oxidation solutions for various food and beverage applications.
5. Continue to learn process chemistry and food science skills and participate on scale ups of new products and processes.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Serve as an independent investigator, planning, designing and conducting experiments and associated research activities directed toward identified, strategic business opportunities. Expectations:
a. Works independently on assignments using knowledge and work experience. Proactively gathers input from colleagues to assist in attaining business objectives.
b. Recognized as a competent scientist with broad expertise and with growing scientific contributions.
c. Activities may result in the creation of novel processes, analyses, and hypotheses using new ideas and knowledge with input from supervision. These activities may also produce new intellectual property or may optimize existing analytical techniques for the business.
d. Makes decisions that require developing new options to solve moderately complex problems. Decisions impact projects worth > $500,000.
e. Learns new scientific concepts independently and reviews scientific literature to enhance job knowledge.
f. Applies technical and functional knowledge to design experiments, and independently completes work within own project team, working on multiple sub-projects in parallel. Participate in departmental and company-wide project work. Supervision may provide guidance on overall goals and designs.
g. May train other scientists and technicians in various techniques.
2. Careful recording of experimental observations in a laboratory notebook kept in a sufficient manner to protect Kalsec’s intellectual property rights.
3. Preparation of detailed reports, with supervisor’s review, that describe research efforts, and when appropriate, presentation of research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec staff and/or other groups.
4. Transition promising research work into the application and process development groups for commercial development.
5. The development of new antioxidant products to BFG status as required
6. Maintain a safe and clean work area, complying with corporate safety and environmental policies.
7. Participate in training programs deemed necessary to either develop job skills and laboratory capabilities or meet company policies and directives.
8. Be aware of the company’s Q.A. policy and objectives, strictly observing these policy provisions in the fulfillment of this job.
9. To serve as a mentor to Kalsec staff, including occasional leading, guiding and training of staff, student employees, interns, and/or others performing related work. Maintain up- to-date working knowledge of Kalsec’s processes and manufacturing capabilities.
10. Review and revise as needed Product Specifications, formulas, Production/Finishing procedures, Technical Documentation.
11. Application of extensive product knowledge and experience to troubleshooting product/process problems, investigating customer concerns, developing new processes as needed to meet customer specific needs, and recommendations for correction of non-compliant materials.