Nanoparticle Process Development Chemist
KaloCyte, a pre-clinical stage biotech startup, is seeking a Nanoparticle Process Development Chemist to join our development program for ErythroMer, a bio-inspired artificial red blood cell substitute. As the design and manufacturing of ErythroMer is optimized, the individual will have the opportunity to contribute to KaloCyte’s intellectual property portfolio.
This position is responsible for optimizing, evaluating and characterizing targeted nanoparticles within a dynamic drug development environment. Responsible for executing lab experiments, reporting results and representing formulation activities to the project team. Experience with polymeric and/or lipid-based nanoparticle preparation techniques, scale-up, physio-chemical characterization, and surface modification are a must. The ideal candidate for this position has demonstrated success with preclinical drug development and scale up.
This role requires strong technical knowledge in various aspects of drug delivery and formulation coupled with a drive to learn new techniques while actively working at the laboratory bench. The candidate will lead analytical method development and validation activities under GLP GMP conditions and will work closely with synthetic chemist during drug product development and testing. This individual must have the scientific commitment along with a strong desire to make impactful scientific and technical contributions within the nanomedicine research field while working in a highly collaborative early development environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulation design, analytical methods development, physical characterization, experimental design, sample analysis and interpretation of results.
- Oversee the synthesis of novel excipients and interact closely with other researchers in the design of lipid/polymeric nanoparticle formulations.
- Participate in determining specific physicochemical properties of drugs, excipients, and polymers, and applying that knowledge to the development of successful polymer and lipid nanoparticles drug delivery strategies.
- Plan, design, and execute protocols; record, interpret and report results for complex studies.
- Organize, evaluate, critique, and present data in an effective and scientific manner.
- Work and learn across multiple technical disciplines including synthetic and polymer chemistry, particle delivery technology and biological sciences.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Scientific commitment and strong desire to make impactful scientific and technical contributions within the nanomedicine research field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including ability to effectively present scientific data.
- Good organizational skills, strong attention to detail and ability to multitask and prioritize assignments.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, small company environment.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work across functions.
Education and Experience
- MS/PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, biochemical engineering or related field
- 3+ yrs of experience in nanoparticle formulation and design and drug delivery, liposomal and polymeric nanoparticle preparation techniques, biophysical and chemical characterization, and surface modification
- Hands on experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry with experience in drug development or drug product formulation
- Experience with pharmaceutical manufacturing technologies including lyophilization
- Experience in chemical characterization and chemical synthesis
- Experience with hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers and/or red blood cell physiology is a plus
- In depth understanding of cGMPs, specifically as they apply to analytical pharmaceutical environment
- Quality by Design (QbD) for nanoparticles, scale up, and developing Target Product Profiles (TPP) for nanoparticles in a pharmaceutical development environment
- Analytical instrumentation including (pH, HPLC, UV-Vis, NMR, LC/MS), zeta-potential and particle sizing, HPLC and GC techniques, dissolution testing
- Method and process validation and cleaning validation studies
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and benefits package including medical/dental insurance, 401K, 22 days of paid time off plus 6 sick days and 11 holidays.
Apply for Nanoparticle Process Development Chemist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly