Specially Appointed Research Employee
The International Research Collaboration Center (IRCC) at the National Institutes of Natural Sciences (NINS) in Japan has launched the Division of Quantitative and Imaging Biology (QIB) in April 2019 to promote international collaborative research of life sciences in cooperation with Princeton University. IRCC-QIB seeks to appoint a postdoctoral researcher to harness approaches from single-molecule imaging and spectroscopy, and mathematical data analysis to elucidate conformational dynamics and chemo-mechanical energy conversion mechanisms of protein molecular motors such as processive cellulases. The ideal candidate will promote joint research between the NINS and Princeton University.
1. Title and number of positions to be filled
Title: Specially Appointed Research Employee
Title in Princeton University: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Number: one person
NINS will hire a postdoctoral researcher for up to a total of three years in IRCC and Princeton. It is understood because this is collaborative project, depending on the research progress, the research fellow may stay either at Princeton University (Prof. Haw Yang Lab) or at IRCC-QIB, NINS in Japan (Prof. Ryota Iino Lab). There is the possibility for the appointment to be renewed annually contingent on funding and satisfactory performance.
Prof. Haw Yang Lab: http://yanglab.princeton.edu/
Department of Chemistry, 225A Frick Laboratory, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544-1023
Prof. Ryota Iino Lab: https://groups.ims.ac.jp/organization/iino_g/index_e.html
Institute for Molecular Science, National Institute of Natural Sciences, Higashiyama 5-1, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi 444-8787, Japan
3. Requirements for applicants
(1) A Ph.D. degree (expected to have before the start date)
(2) Substantial experience in single-molecule imaging, single-molecule spectroscopy, protein biochemistry or related topics
(3) Candidates with expertise in statistics and programming will be considered more favorably
4. Term of appointment
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as reasonably possible after the job offer has been accepted. The term of the contract will be renewed annually (for up to a total of three years in NINS and Princeton).
(1) The specially appointed research employee will be employed under an annual salary system and will receive a salary based upon the NINS standard.
(2) The specially appointed research employee will be eligible for enrollment in social insurance.
(3) Travel and relocation costs to IRCC-QIB will be covered, subject to the travel regulations of NINS.
6. Application deadline
Selection will be made as needed and as soon as someone is accepted, this open recruitment will be brought to a close.
7. Reviewing and selection system
Selection will be made by the selection committee of IRCC-QIB. First screening will be done based upon the examination of all submitted documents. After the first screening, we will have an interview as second screening via the internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by IRCC.
8. Documents to be submitted
(2) Publication list
(3) A brief summary of research history and a statement of intent (i.e. how you believe you can contribute to the project). These documents should be 1 to 3 pages in length.
(4) At least one recommendation letter. Two or more recommendation letters are favorable. The recommendation letter(s) should be sent from the reference(s) to IRCC directly.
(5) Any other documents useful for the review
Send your application documents by e-mail to IRCC.
E-mail: nins-kokusai_AT_nins.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Subject of e-mail: “Application for specially appointed research employee of Iino lab., IRCC-QIB”
9. Contact Information for the IRCC
(1) Regarding application documents
E-mail: nins-kokusai_AT_nins.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Liaison and Planning Division, Administrative Bureau, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, 2F Hulic Kamiyacho Building, 4-3-13 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0001, Japan
(2) Regarding research
Prof. Ryota Iino
E-mail: iino_AT_ims.ac.jp (replace _AT_ with @)
Division of Quantitative and Imaging Biology, International Research Collaboration Center/ Department of Life and Coordination-Complex Molecular Science, Institute for Molecular Science, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Higashiyama 5-1, Myodaiji, Okazaki, 444-8787, Japan
(1) Please submit application documents by e-mail to IRCC.
(2) Application documents will not be returned after submission. IRCC will not use application documents for any other purpose but this selection. Application documents will be disposed after the selection.
(3) Payment is on annual salary system (It will be paid monthly by installments).
(4) Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, IRCC is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, IRCC will take positive action to employ women.
(5) If an applicant has taken one or more leaves of absence for the purpose of maternity, child-care, and/or family-care (including shorter working hours for the purpose of child-care and/or family-care), or has been absent from research activities due to illness or an injury that occurred in the workplace or while commuting, please describe this in the resume. IRCC will take this information into consideration in the selection process.