Location: Vikor Scientific-Charleston
Category: Research & Development
Kor Life Science’s Drug Discovery team has an immediate opening for an experienced medicinal chemist. The Drug Discovery team’s mission is to develop life-changing targeted therapies for cancer patient populations that are poorly treated by existing treatments. To that end, we have built a multi-disciplinary team of dedicated drug discovery scientists who are passionate about driving the science forward to create highly selective drugs for known oncogenic targets. We are currently looking for accomplished medicinal chemists with a proven track record of success in small/macromolecules drug discovery. The ideal candidate will be passionate about leading from the bench to solve medicinal chemistry challenges and will excel at working closely with scientists across disciplines. The position requires excellent people skills, a positive can-do attitude, and the ability to thrive in a highly interactive, fast-paced, team environment. If you are a talented life science professional that can bring significant energy, passion, and talent to the team, we welcome the opportunity to consider you for a position in this exciting, new company.
Dr. Saeed Khan is an Adjunct faculty at Johns Hopkins Medical School, Ex Senior Scientist of FDA and a President of Research and Development at the Vikor and Kor life Sciences.
Kor Life Sciences is building a drug discovery platform to enable basic research and deliver clinical candidates on several promising targets. We are seeking a medicinal chemist with significant pharmaceutical industry/Academic experience to join our multi-disciplinary team to aid and support all our target identification, hit optimization, and clinical candidate discovery efforts.
- Drive the team forward with new medicinal chemistry analogs that consistently move the project toward the next breakthrough drug candidate.
- Optimize lead series for potency, selectivity, physicochemical properties, in vitro ADME, and PK by coupling multivariant SAR analysis with hypothesis-driven medicinal chemistry design principles. Use sound scientific methods to propose hypotheses and determine the next steps, even with complex or ambiguous data.
- Work closely with structural biology and computational chemistry colleagues to design novel compounds and hypotheses that address key drug optimization goals.
- Reduce ideas to practice in the lab quickly by effectively employing a broad range of modern organic chemistry transformations, synthetic methods, purification, and characterization techniques.
- Synergize with the broader team by communicating results, sharing insights, making plans, and setting goals in an open, honest way.
- Provide medicinal chemistry insight for a new target and lead identification and evaluation initiatives in the oncology space.
- Proactively investigate new or different technologies to improve the effectiveness of the drug discovery process.
Required Qualifications and Background
- Ph.D. in Medicinal Chemistry with a focus on synthetic organic chemistry.
- 3+years of experience in small molecule and bioconjugate drug discovery in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical/Academia setting.
- Proven track record of success in advancing programs from leads to advanced candidates.
- Strong project planning and problem-solving skills and capable of handling multiple projects under strict timelines
- Extensive experience in lead compound optimization for potency, selectivity, ADME, and PK.
- Experienced in the use of synthetic chemistry instrumentation: HPLC, LC-MS, NMR, and purification systems.
- Expert in using common medicinal chemistry software: electronic notebook, ChemDraw, Excel; Docking program data visualization; structure viewing; literature, chemical and database searching.
- Committed to staying current with the latest scientific breakthroughs in the medicinal chemistry field through the continued reading of the literature and attendance of scientific conferences.
- An excellent team player with ability to communicate synergistically with a multi-disciplinary team and be accountable for the medicinal chemistry progress of the project. Highly organized with excellent analytical, documentation, time management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Prepared scientific reports for grant proposals, publications and product license applications.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to effectively present data within the company and to other stakeholders.