Senior Scientist/Engineer - Fermentation
Job Title: Senior Scientist/Engineer - Fermentation
Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmet needs in agriculture by applying synthetic biology approaches to engineer microbes.
The Senior/Project Scientist is a highly collaborative leadership role that leverages expertise in fermentation engineering and microbiology to deliver on microbial fermentation objectives for Joyn Projects.
- Work closely with the head of bioprocessing and formulation development to create a strategy for fermentation research for Joyn Bio, align with product concepts and project objectives, and drive the technical strategy on a day to day basis.
- Work with cross-functional program teams to carry out fermentations for greenhouse and field evaluation
- Establish and manage collaborations with Joyn Bio’s parent companies and additional 3rd party partner organizations.
- Provide expertise and be a member of the fermentation scientific community, helping to identify in-licensing opportunities and future partnerships, collaborations and contractors.
- 5+ years of industrial experience in industrial fermentation process development, including successful tech transfer to third party scale-up and manufacturing
- Ph.D. (or equivalent combination of degree and experience) in chemical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related discipline
- Prior supervisory and project management experience is required
- Experience with both submerged and solid-state fermentation a plus
- Ability to present complex results, both verbally and in writing, to a multi-disciplinary audience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and cross-functional team environment
- A passion for transforming agriculture with microbial solutions.
- This position reports into the head of bioprocessing
- This individual will be part of the Boston-based Bioprocessing and Formulation Development team.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site and will require 5-10% travel.