Position Details: Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a full-time 12-month position of post-doctoral researcher in the Department of Chemistry to begin October 1, 2020.
Institution Information: Gustavus Adolphus College seeks employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. The Gustavus Acts strategic plan renews our commitment to equip students to lead purposeful lives, and to act on the great challenges of our time by diversifying and expanding the Gustavus community and delivering a distinctive and integrated liberal arts education. We are committed to fostering a community that embodies the value of a liberal arts education rooted in heritage and pluralism. We engage in this work at a coeducational, private, Lutheran (ELCA), residential, national liberal arts college of 2200 students.
The Stoll Research Laboratory in the Chemistry Department at Gustavus is focused on fundamental research questions in liquid chromatography, development of innovative methodologies and instrumentation for two-dimensional liquid chromatography (2D-LC), and applications of 2D-LC including biomolecule analysis.
Major/Essential Functions: Primary responsibilities will include leading a team of undergraduate researchers and staff scientists to plan and execute experiments focused on two-dimensional liquid chromatography with mass spectrometric detection, and prepare research results for publication and presentation.
- PhD in chemistry (or a related field); we will consider candidates who have achieved ABD status and who will complete their degree by September 31, 2020;
- Prior experience with mass spectrometry;
- Prior experience with liquid chromatography; and
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to working with students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
- Advanced training in chromatography theory and experience developing chromatographic methods;
- Advanced training in mass spectrometry and experience developing mass spectrometric methods;
- Experience with two-dimensional liquid chromatography;
- Experience with biomolecule analysis; and
- Programming experience (e.g., Matlab) and experience with advanced data analysis (e.g., chemometrics).
Application Procedures: To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs and complete the online application. The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae;
- A brief (one page) statement of research interests;
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address research experience and effectiveness).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by September 15, 2020. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Gustavus Adolphus College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.