Postdoctoral Research Associate – Polymeric Fiber Processing
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to support research efforts in the investigation and processing of new polymeric fiber and composites. This position resides in the Carbon and Composites Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The Carbon and Composites Group advances the science and technology base for manufacturing of polymeric materials and composites by conducting innovative research and development for a broad spectrum of programs and applications. This research will focus on experimental studies on processability of polymers, and thermoplastic fiber manufacturing from its melt or solvent swollen gel. Additionally, the research will employ interfacial engineering methods to produce fibers tailored to a variety of composite applications and processes. Materials will be characterized through x-ray and neutron scattering, rheology, GPC, DMA, TGA, DSC, SEM, high temperature processing and tensile tests.
- Process polymeric fibers by a variety of techniques including melt and solution spinning
- Conduct structural characterization of polymeric fibers and establish structure-property-processability relationships
- Characterize the polymers by a variety of methods including thermal analysis, mechanical testing, x-ray and neutron scattering, microscopy, rheology, spectroscopy, and data analysis
- Work in a collaborative team environment and regularly interact with senior scientists, program managers, group members, and industrial partners
- Present and report research results and publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner, after intellectual property has been protected
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A Ph.D. in Polymer Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Physics, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, or closely related fields completed within the last 5 years.
- Expertise in polymer processing and rheology.
- Expertise is structural characterization of materials and scattering data analysis.
- Expertise in thermal analysis and mechanical testing of polymers and polymer composites.
- An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to an international scientific audience.
- Motivated and safety conscious.
- Ability to work independently and ability to participate creatively in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks in a limited amount of time and to independently set priorities to accomplish numerous tasks to meet deadlines.
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.