Spectroscopy and Microscopy Postdoc
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT) and Detonation Science & Technology (Q-6) groups are seeking candidates for a postdoctoral position to study material properties within a microfluidics environment. Project work involves developing and implementing novel microscopy instrumentation using FT-IR and Raman spectroscopies to stand up new analytical capabilities in single-particle analysis. The successful candidate will also perform experimental studies to demonstrate the methods and identify sample characteristics/chemical signatures of explosive materials and/or simulants that impact material performance and explore the underlying physical mechanisms.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Engineering, Chemistry or a related field earned within the last five years
- Experience building complex optical systems and integrating hardware components
- Experience in hardware integration and software control
- Comfortable in disassembly and reassembly of instrumentation
- Proficiency in data analysis
- Demonstrated record of scientific achievement through publications and presentations
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to obtain DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship)
- Experience with a variety of microscopy techniques (e.g. confocal, lightsheet, single-particle fluorescence, Raman, etc.)
- Experience with microfluidics or flow-cytometry
- Familiarity with FT-IR and Raman spectroscopy techniques
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC82039: https://lanl.jobs/los-alamos-nm/spectroscopy-and-microscopy-postdoc/2BDA8B2AE6474E58B9EE205A53CAF735/job/
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.