Professor at the Department of Biomedicine
The Department of Biomedicine at Faculty of Health at Aarhus University invites applications for one or more positions as Professor as per 1 August 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is a permanent full-time position.
We offer a vibrant international research environment where English is the preferred language in the laboratory, at meetings and at seminars. The Department employs some 450 people and covers a range of research areas within Biomedicine. We contribute to the Bachelor’s degree programs in medicine, molecular medicine, odontology and the Master’s degree programs in biomedical engineering and medical chemistry. Our infrastructure is well developed with modern laboratories, core and animal facilities. You will work either in the brand new ‘Skou Building’ or similar as we are in the process of modernizing our old facilities. You can read more about the department here and about the faculty here.
The Department of Biomedicine is committed to diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply regardless of their personal background.
Your job responsibilities
As Professor at the Department of Biomedicine, you will have joint responsibility for the development of the department's research and teaching environment, and you will contribute to the implementation of the faculty's overall research strategy. You are expected to contribute – both independently and in collaboration with others – to the development of the department by leading research of high international quality and contributing to ensuring a high academic and didactic standard in teaching. Qua your excellent collaborative skills and a broad academic network, you contribute to the academic development at Aarhus University and to the university’s profile both nationally and internationally.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Research of high international quality, including publication in top international journals and communicating your research in national and international academic networks.
- Teaching, supervision and examination of Bachelor’s and Master's degree students.
- To contribute to the funding of your own research group with the help of external research funding.
- Supervision of PhD students and contributing to the development of the faculty's PhD courses.
- Assessment and committee work at Aarhus University.
- Research-based collaboration with private and public-sector stakeholders as well as research-based consultancy.
- Dissemination of your research to the outside world.
We offer an attractive start package.
You will report to the Head of Department of Biomedicine.
You have an excellent track record in biomedical research, and you have established yourself as a prominent researcher. You possess solid research and teaching qualifications at a high international level. You have broad international cooperative partnerships and great experience of research partnerships with private and public-sector stakeholders. You have also a documented ability to attract significant competitive research funding from national and international funding bodies. We are looking for scientists who sees opportunities in collaboration with the existing strong research groups at Aarhus University and Aarhus University Hospital as well as abroad.
As s person, you are a helpful and motivational leader who inspires other researchers and builds trusting relationships with students, colleagues and partners. As a lecturer you communicate the newest and relevant knowledge in a committed, clear and comprehensible manner. As a supervisor you are competent, inspiring, supportive and responsible.
You are ready to take co-responsibility for the development of the department's research and education at the highest international level and for ensuring that we maintain a good work environment. You naturally involve yourself in interdisciplinary collaboration at departmental, faculty and university level as well as nationally and internationally.
We expect you to be fluent in oral and written English. International applicants are expected to learn Danish, and Aarhus University arranges Danish teaching.
In order to be assessed as qualified for a Professor position, you must meet these academic criteria.
Shortlisting may be used.
Questions about the position
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of Department of Biomedicine Thomas G. Jensen tel.: (+45) 27782805.
We expect to conduct interviews 12-14 May 2021.
Terms of employment
- In making the appointment, emphasis will be placed on a high degree of original production at an internal level and experience from teaching at different levels as well as contributions to the development of teaching activities and teaching material, hereby documenting that the applicant has developed the academic discipline from a research and teaching perspective.
- Moreover, there will be an assessment of the applicant’s ability to perform research and teaching management tasks.Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
- The appointment is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- Remuneration is in accordance with the above, and the Salary agreement catalogue for staff at Health.
- The yearly base salary for a fulltime professor is DKK 758,977.64 (including a position related supplement, a pre-agreed professor supplement and pension (17.1%)). Additional supplement(s) can be negotiated dependent on experience, special qualifications and performance of special functions. Professors have the authority to negotiate pay on their own behalf.
- Researchers recruited from abroad are offered a special researcher tax scheme with a lower tax rate.
- Travel and moving expenses may be covered according to the employee in question and, to a limited extent, the accompanying family.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job description can be found in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Your application must include the following:
- Motivated application
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of publications
- A teaching portfolio. We refer to Guideline on the use of teaching portfolios
- The ten publications stated as the most important in the template for applicant must be submitted
- References/recommendations can be uploaded separately in the e-recruitment system
- Template for applicant - professor must be completed and uploaded under ‘Extra documents’
We refer to the faculty’s Guidelines for applicants.
The assessment committee may decide to include non-submitted material in its statement. In such cases, you will be informed and obliged to submit material, unless your application is withdrawn.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Deadline:19 October 2020
Aarhus University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education and the development of society nationally and globally. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 38,000 students (FTEs) and 8,000 employees, and has an annual revenues of EUR 885 million. Learn more at www.international.au.dk/