Head, Software Engineering - Small Molecule Drug Discovery Informatics
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Head, Software Engineering -
Small Molecule Drug Discovery Informatics
Genentech seeks an experienced, self-driven leader to be responsible for shaping and executing the strategy to implement the next generation of informatics and scientific computing tools and infrastructure for Small Molecule Drug Discovery (SMDD) at Genentech. Critical to this mission, the leader will be responsible for doubling the size and impact of the group by developing talent and recruiting skilled software engineers, project managers, and informatics systems analysts (approximately eight new internal FTEs). The group collaborates closely with scientists and leaders in the departments across Small Molecule Drug Discovery to achieve informatics objectives. Additionally, the leader will also partner with other informatics and software engineering groups in Research and Early Development at our South San Francisco, CA research headquarters.
The successful candidate will influence, build, enable, and lead teams developing, applying and maintaining modern software technologies to complex problems in a dynamic research environment. These teams will analyze the needs of small molecule project teams and Research & Development groups, translating their requirements into robust and scalable software solutions.
- Lead the Small Molecule Drug Discovery informatics software engineering group, including internal and external FTEs
- Influence and implement the long term SMDD informatics vision
- Provide strategic and tactical group leadership
- Recruit, mentor, and develop informatics and software engineering staff
- Work with Small Molecule Drug Discovery groups and leadership to prioritize, resource and execute informatics and scientific computing projects
- Collaborate with other Genentech informatics and scientific computing groups to coordinate development of infrastructure and applications of mutual interest across groups
Who You Are
- Masters degree or equivalent in computer science or a related field
- 10 or more years of experience in Biotech/Pharma
- Proven record of building and leading teams to deliver large-scale scientific software systems within Biotech/Pharma
- Ability to balance needs of enterprise software engineering with support for innovation from scientific collaborators
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Thrives in a highly collaborative environment
- Executive presence and ability to influence
- Previous line management experience
- Proven ability to recruit and develop outstanding talent
- Familiarity with modern software engineering technology and practices including on-premise and cloud computing
- Experience with the full software development lifecycle across planning, deployment, training and maintenance
- Understanding of modern database architecture
- Experience providing software solutions for small molecule drug discovery
- Experience leading distributed, offsite software engineering teams
- Experience with modern programming languages such as Python and Java
- Experience with at least one cheminformatics API such as Openeye Oechem or RDKit
- Working knowledge of machine learning algorithms
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and
life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.