Manage a dynamic state-of-the-art Analytical Lab in Dudley, MA for engineering development, support, and training activities provided to Essilor’s internal and external partners.
Management of the Analytical Lab
- Manage the day to day operations of the analytical lab which includes direct reports, equipment, and workflow. Organize consumables, supplies, preventative maintenance, and calibration services for equipment. Assure 6S compliance in the lab.
- Evaluate new analytical instruments including software tools and make recommendations to keep the lab at the cutting edge of technology and development. This may also include collaboration with external labs, local Universities and attending Analytical Conferences.
- Conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports. Assist team members in developing SMART objectives. Actively support career management activities and help to create and support individual development plans to guide the growth of each team member.
- Act as the liaison for analytical collaboration and studies with external research institutes and/or universities. This includes assessing their capabilities, soliciting research proposals, creating development/testing protocols, assuring deliverables, and capitalization of knowledge gained.
- Act as a Chemical Hygiene Officer and keep abreast of safety regulations and comply with EH&S rules. In collaboration with local EH&S team, implement ongoing health, safety, and environment activities in the Polymer Lab. This also include being a mentor for Behavior Based Safety initiatives in the group.
- Create, manage, communicate, and brand progress of the Analytical Lab as measured in KPIs.
- Assure Lab’s contributions towards organization’s Balance Score Card.
Conduct analytical testing to support material development, laminate development, defect analysis, and new processes. In addition, support polymer flow, thermal, and fluid-flow simulations
- Develop, validate, and implement advanced analytical methods to characterize chemical composition of bulk, interfacial, and surface moieties using spectroscopy, chromatography, thermal, and microscopy techniques.
- Characterize rheological and mechanical properties of polymer materials. Create, and maintain material property database as an input for polymer flow and thermal simulations.
- Conduct routine analysis using Spectroscopy, Chromatography and Thermal Analysis tools. This includes but not limited to FT-IR, Raman, GPC, GC/MS, XPS, Ion chromatography, DSC, TGA, DMA and other material characterization techniques.
- Write technical reports of the findings using scientific formats.
- Capture requirements and communicate analysis results to both internal and external customers.
- Create and maintain records of analysis conducted in the Lab, accessible in a user-friendly manner.
- Prioritize and assign tasks to direct reports.
Data collection and problem-solving techniques
- Utilize Excel, Matlab, R, or other tools for in-depth data analysis. This includes but not limited to creating calibration curves for quantitative analysis, conducting DOEs for optimization of method development, and predictive tools for product and process FMEA.
- Keep abreast with and recommend/implement LIMS tools.
- Assist in ideation and brainstorming sessions for Engineering problem solving.
Training, Coaching & Mentoring
- Conduct training for Engineering and other groups on defect analysis using FT-IR, Raman, XPS, Microscopy and other techniques.
- Train direct reports and others in use of analytical tools. Provide coaching and mentoring for advancement of their professional growth.
- Drive innovation through the existing internal system of innovation cards, memos, and patents.
- Create a knowledge management approach to capitalize on analysis conducted in the Lab.
- Actively seek and implement advancements in material characterization techniques.
Competencies and Experience Required
- A Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline (preferably in chemistry, polymers, chemical engineering, or biochemistry) with 7 to 10 years or Master’s with 5 to 8 years with hands-on experience in an industrial lab setting is required.
- Experience in managing and operating an Analytical Lab with advanced polymer characterization and microscopy tools is required.
- Supervisory experience with excellent organizational skills, with ability to prioritize tasks and organize workflow is required.
- An excellent understanding of the data (spectral, thermal, chromatographic, and mechanical) interpretation generated using analytical tools in the Lab is essential.
- Good understanding of Design of Experiment (DOE) setup and interpretations.
- Advanced data interpretation and analysis skills using Microsoft Excel, Computational Statistics, Matlab etc.
- Good understanding and compliance of EH&S requirements is required.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, with ability to work across cultural and time-zone boundaries is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Matlab, R or Python is a plus.