Analytical Lab Chemist
Provide analytical services and technical expertise utilizing state-of-the-art instrumentation in the Analytical Lab to support Essilor’s internal and external partners.
Conduct analytical testing to support polymer materials development, film/laminate development, defect analysis, and new processes as related to ophthalmic applications.
- Develop, validate, and implement advanced analytical methods to characterize chemical composition of bulk, interfacial, and surface moieties using spectroscopy, chromatography, thermal, and microscopy techniques.
- Characterize rheological and mechanical properties of polymer materials. Create, and maintain material property database as an input for polymer flow and thermal simulations.
- Conduct routine analysis using Spectroscopy, Chromatography and Thermal Analysis tools. This includes but not limited to FT-IR, Raman, GPC, GC/MS, XPS, Ion chromatography, DSC, TGA, DMA and other material characterization techniques.
- Perform incoming inspection and testing of polycarbonate resin and laminate material for Essilor manufacturing facilities.
- Provide microscopic defect examination/analysis for projects and products on a global basis, including chemical analysis and sample preparation.
- Write technical reports of the findings using scientific formats that include objectives, method used, data analysis, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Capture customer requirements and communicate analysis results to both internal and external customers.
- Create and maintain records of analysis conducted in the Polymer Lab, accessible in a user-friendly manner.
Organize and maintain polymer lab instrumentation
- Conduct the daily/weekly checks on required instruments. Support the annual Preventative Maintenance and Calibrations of required instruments including collaborating with external suppliers.
- Assist in the evaluation of new analytical equipment and software tools and make recommendations to keep the Polymer lab at the cutting edge of technology and development. This may also include collaboration with external labs and local Universities and attending Analytical Conferences.
- Support the Chemical Hygiene Officer and keep abreast of safety regulations and comply with EH&S rules. In collaboration with local EH&S team, implement ongoing health, safety, and environment activities in the Polymer Lab. This also include being a mentor for Behavior Based Safety initiatives in the group.
- Purchase supplies, chemicals, and parts for the lab.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Utilize Excel, Matlab or other tools for in-depth data analysis. This includes but not limited to creating calibration curves for quantitative analysis, conducting DOEs for optimization of method development, and predictive tools for product and process FMEA.
- Good understanding of data interpretation from various analytical techniques, such as but not limited to thermal, spectroscopy, chromatography, microscopy, and rheology.
- Experience with data extraction from industry standard formats used in modern analytical instruments.
- Assist in ideation and brainstorming sessions for Engineering problem solving.
- Drive innovation through the existing internal system of innovation cards, memos, and patents.
- Help create correlation between the data from Lab analysis and product (lens) performance.
- Support a knowledge management approach to capitalize on analysis conducted in the Lab.
- Keep abreast on upcoming technologies by attending technical conferences and seminars.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline (preferably in chemistry, polymers, chemical engineering, or biochemistry) with 5 to 8 years or Master’s with 3 to 5 years with hands-on experience in an industrial lab setting is required.
- Hands-on experience in operating and maintaining analytical instruments, including a thorough knowledge in the use of microscopes and other inspection equipment.
- A fundamental understanding of data (spectral, thermal, chromatographic, and mechanical) interpretation generated using analytical tools is essential.
- Good understanding of Design of Experiment (DOE) setup and interpretations.
- Advanced data interpretation and analysis skills using Microsoft Excel, Computational Statistics, Matlab, R, Python, etc.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize tasks and organize workflow.
- Team oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
- Good understanding and compliance of EH&S requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.