We are looking for an R&D Process Scientist to join the R&D Department within Wiley Companies who will be engaged in the laboratory-scale synthesis of custom chemicals/nutrition and health products and the development of commercial processes. The R&D Process Scientist provides technical support involving the synthesis of custom chemicals, chemical analysis, and technical aspects of the company’s production processes and the development of new products. They will be involved with kilo-lab scale and pilot plant facilities, provide support for technology transfer to production facilities, design, enable and develop scalable processes, apply innovative chemistries, and new technologies and statistical experimental design approaches in a laboratory setting. This individual must have the ability to work on and lead multi-disciplinary teams involving chemists, analysts, and engineers, and be able to represent R&D on cross-functional teams. The R&D Process Scientist will be the primary investigator/project leader and serve as contact with the internal and external company customers, provide project updates, and chair meetings while also participating in key initiatives for R&D and contribute to continuous improvement work in the department.
Skills and Abilities:
- M.S./Ph.D. in synthetic Organic Chemistry or equivalent experience.
- Experience in a contract research organization (CRO) or contract manufacturing organization (CMO) environment is desirable.
- 5+ years of experience in process development for scale up of intermediates and final products from R&D lab to Kilo lab/pilot plant facilities.
- Industrial experience in laboratory synthesis of and safe handling of organic, inorganic, and organometallic compounds, catalysts, and polymeric materials.
- Collaboration with scientists/engineers from Analytical, R&D, and other disciplines, such as process engineering and production, to advance synthetic routes into commercial processes.
- Track record of innovative thinking and technical accomplishments and utilization of analytical tools, technical knowledge, data, computational and statistical tools, etc. to solve technical challenges and enhance chemistries and process development.
- Proficient in standard analytical techniques (TLC, NMR, HPLC, LC/MS, GC, etc.) and separation technologies, such as distillation, column chromatography, and crystallization.
- Able to perform independent research in a multidisciplinary environment and cooperatively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and verbal) skills and the ability to effectively influence the work of others.
- Interpret and communicate results to colleagues, company, and clients
- Supervisory and mentoring skills.
Travel requirements: Travel is required on occasion in support of external manufacture or to participate in scientific conferences.
Salary and Benefits: Salary level is commensurate with experience, competitive with comparable professionals. Package includes full medical and dental health insurance, with 100% of premiums paid by the company. 401K with company match, AD&D, Life Insurance, vacation, paid holidays, and sick time.
Wiley Companies is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination upon the basis of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, political belief, or disability. Candidates must be legal residents of the United States and have legal work status through citizenship or work visa. Candidates must pass a drug screen prior to employment.